Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JAL flight attendant ? 2009/2/3 00:21
Hi all!
I have a question about JAL.

I'm french, and I know I can work as a JAL flight attendant in an European base, like London or Frankfurt.

But if I speak fluent japanese and I'm in Japan when I apply, can I be based in Tokyo, like every japanese girl who want to be flight attendant ?

I'm sorry if the JAL website answer my question, I don't speak fluent japanese yet, it's a question for the future =)
by Cloe  

re 2009/2/5 18:52
Nobody can answer my question ?
by Cloe rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/5 19:46
All flight attendents are currently traveling :D

just kidding.

everything is possible if you speak the language and have the education the company you wish to work for is requirering.

I would imagine that being a flight attendent , the more lanaguages you speak the more profitable for you it is.

But i do think that it's best to adress this question to JAL itself and ask for the requirements.

by Tinyworld (guest) rate this post as useful

hello 2009/2/6 01:08
My American friend is currently a JAL flight attendant on aisa pacific international route and she speak no good Japanese. She get to stay in Tokyo for a week some times because of her deadhead flight back to her original airport. He is teaching capoeira when she is in Japan and making petty cash.

I don't know if you like to have work like this? If yes,then it is possible for you because he is doing it already.
by manchan (guest) rate this post as useful

JAL 2009/2/6 03:48
I have a friend who is Thai and speaks Japanese. She is based in Tokyo and works for JALWAYS. the cheaper cousin of JAL. so yes, i think you can be based in Japan
by Jun 33 rate this post as useful

translation 2009/2/6 12:54
Cloe,

Application requirements may differ depending on the year, but currently for example, for new college graduates, the requirements for applying to be flight attendants on JAL are as follows;

1) Those due to graduate an university or junior college during April 2008 to March 2009.

2) Those with English language ability equavalent to TOEIC 600 points or more.

3) Those with no health problems in respiratory or circulatory organs, no ear/nose/throat/eye/spine disorders, and corrected eyesight of 1.0 or better (contact lense use).

4) Those living or has plans to live within 40km from Haneda Airport, and is able to commute to the Airport within 90 minutes using public transportation.

5) Those who can work on early morning shifts, midnight shifts and is able to stay overnight, regardless or the date.

6) Those able to be employed any designated date after April 2009.

7) Nationality is not an issue.

However, on the requirements for those who already have graduated, it doesn't mention anything about the nationality.

Keep in mind that if you are granted to become an employee after competitive tests, you will be trained for a couple of months, then you will be flying domestic flights for a couple of years, and finally you will be sent to international flights.

This information all comes from the Japanese version of JAL's official website.
http://www.jal.com/ja/saiyo/apply/cabin_kisotsu.html
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

P.S. 2009/2/6 12:58
I forgot to mention that, as suggested, there may be more types of contracts other than that of the "every japanese girl," so you should ask a branch near you or email to their head office for more details.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

a buyer's market 2009/2/6 13:07
I am afraid it is not very easy for you to become a JAL flight attendant based in Japan.

Because,

Thousands of young girls are coming to apply for the job. It is a typical buyer's market.

JAL crew based in Japan are flying both intl and domestic routes, so a perfect command of Japanese. is needed.

Almost all the training textbooks are written in Japanese.
by usedtobeoyakatahinomaru (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/2/7 07:21
Thanks for all your answers =)

I already knew it would be easier to be a flight attendant based in Europe, now I'm sure ^^
by Cloe rate this post as useful

Dont give up 2009/2/7 13:23
You're probably right that it's easier to work in Europe, but it never hurts to try. Right? Ganbatte!
by Ichinensei (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread