Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

24yr old looking to find work in Tokyo. 2009/2/5 04:22
I'm currently living in the states, and would like to travel to Tokyo to work. I understand that I need a Work Visa, and I do not have a Bachelors degree. I would like to be an assistant to an English Teacher or something of that nature, but im not limited to that. I'm curious what steps I need to take, and if it is possible to do this. Thanks!
by MMarino (guest)  

Go get 2009/2/5 10:16
Go get a bachelor's degree first. Then we can all start talking...

What kind of work experience do you have?
by Ralph (guest) rate this post as useful

First the degree... 2009/2/5 11:02
Ralph is right. To be eligible for a work visa in Japan, you need a minimum of a Bachelor's degree (or 3 years prior work experience as a teacher/10 years for other professions). That is the first step you need to take, and there is no way around it. Otherwise you need to think about coming as a full-time student.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Experience 2009/2/6 08:23
I have 16 years of retail experience, as my family owns a gallery. Something like that I don't mind doing either. So basically if I don't have a bachelors, I need to have at least 10 years of work experience in that, so I would be qualified to get a visa?
by MMarino (guest) rate this post as useful

visa categories 2009/2/6 08:57
The thing is, there is no working visa category allowing you to work in retail sales. You would also need a native level of fluency in Japanese to work in that kind of job.

You need 3-10 years experience in a field for which a working visa category exists, plus a job offer from an employer who will sponsor you to qualify for a visa.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Yep 2009/2/6 09:07
If you want to live and work in Japan you gotta put in the hard work first!
by Fredrick (guest) rate this post as useful

How about a student Visa? 2009/2/6 13:08
You might want to try getting a student Visa and then seeing if you can work part time. As long as they let you work part time you could try to find private students to make up the rest of the money. Some people will pay you just for
talking, so that they can keep up thier skills.
by Johnny82 rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/7 03:14
It would be foolish for anyone to go to Japan now without a good job offer. Why does it seem that everyone who wants to go to Japan never has a Bachelor's degree? If you think going to college is hard work wait until you work in Japan, 12 or more hours a day, 6 days a week. If you are serious about living there, do the work first.
by Beto (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/7 04:00
I was just looking at my options.. you don't have to be rude about it.

.. 2009/2/7 04:35
I wasn't being rude. You just want someone here to give you a magical easy answer to your problem. You aren't the only person in this forum who has tried to sidestep the requirements. Why not get a bunch of money and start a business in Japan? This would be the only way to work and live there short of getting a degree or marrying a Japanese citizen. I do wish you good luck and believe if you want something bad enough you can get it through hard work.
by Beto (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/2/7 05:15
I wasn't trying to sidestep anything.. I was just looking to find out what all the necessary steps were, and what different options i have. Thank you for the luck :)

expensive 2009/2/7 06:38
Tokyo is an expensive place to live. You will need a good job to support yourself or plenty of $$ from home.
by len (guest) rate this post as useful

Question about starting a business. 2009/2/10 04:46
Is there any requirements on how big the business is or like you need x number of full-time Japanese employees? I was thinking about this and if the requirements aren't too high I could actually start a hosting business in Japan and it would only cost me the colo fee for the server (a couple hundred per month tops). I doubt I would ever bee that big and probably only make enough money to fund the colocation costs (if that).
by Sandon rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/10 08:18
Sandon,
Other threads on someone wanting to start up a business; I don't think it's easy to meet all the requirements though:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+3...
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+5...
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+4...
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread