Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working full time on Studnet Visa ? 2009/2/6 03:18
There are multiple parts to this question. I am an American citizen and currently a full time student in Japan on a student visa. Because of recent economic problems, I am considering leaving school for a year, working, and then re-enrolling when economic conditions at home (USA) improve. I currently do not hold a degree and and most work available (that would provide visa sponsorship) requires one. Any thoughts both on the conversion of Visa, and full time work in Japan ?
by chrisimpson  

... 2009/2/6 10:14
Unfortunately, on student visa itself, first of all, you can only find part-time job (with separate permit required). If you want to be able to work full-time, that means you will need either a bachelor's degree or 3 (for English teaching position) - 10 years (other industries/positions) of relevant work experience already; without those, noone can sponsor you (due to Immigration requirements).

All I can think of is doing part-time job (working in the evenings, etc.) while staying on your current visa.
by AK rate this post as useful

As mentioned 2009/2/6 11:25
As mentioned by AK, working full-time on a student visa is not allowed. You're also not in a position to be granted a work visa because of your lack of qualifications and/or work experience. That being said, even if you were to find a full-time job in Japan, it would most likely be a crap job that you shouldn't have to subject yourself to. In other words, you'd probably find a much more fulfilling and better suited job if you went back home to America and worked.
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/2/6 12:11
Thank you. I was looking at changing visa status, but if I cant due to Visa regulations, ill have to reassess my options. Thank you for your comments
by chrisimpson rate this post as useful

How about private English teaching? 2009/2/6 13:12
I'm sure you can find a few students who would like to practice/learn English. If you've never done it before you can try it for a low rate, like 1,000 yen an hour or something like that.
by Johnny82 rate this post as useful

@ Jonhnny82 2009/2/6 13:53
Sadly the Univ. I'm at is in a very small town, and 50 % of the students are English speakers. There are too many teachers and not enough jobs. Basically the most work you can get is around 3 hours a week.

If you mean teaching full time private, I would love to but if I were to stop going to school here, my visa would be null, and I would be asked to leave the country.

I'm on two month break now, so currently looking for at least part time in the big cities.

by chrisimpson rate this post as useful

Too cheap 2009/2/6 15:46
Please don't charge only 1,000 yen for private lessons. 3,000 yen used to be standard but that has been going down in the last few years because of people who charge ridiculously low amounts because they are desperate for students. You won't do yourself or anyone else who teaches private students any favours by charging such low prices, as students will gradually becoming unwilling to pay even 3,000 yen.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread