Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What does it mean by 3 million yen? 2009/2/9 00:32
I'm going to apply for an international college in Japan and in the application it states that I must have at least 3 million yen in my account in order to prove that I can afford to study a full year. That's around 28,000 USD, isn't it, so what does this mean?

I can't apply to the college if I don't have that amount of money? I'm going to be on my own so I don't know if I'll have that much money in my account. Is that a mandatory amount needed?

The college's tuition is approx. 11,000 USD. It offers 4 year degrees for international students.
by Joshu Kyu  

maybe 2009/2/9 09:54
i don't know exactly but i suspct it is a government requirement to show that you havee the funds to support yourself for a full year. tuition fee, and accommodation and food and incidental living expenses would easily come to about 3m yen or 28000 us.
by pete (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/9 10:02
That I believe is Immigration requirement - I haven't heard of the amount but there is a requirement - in order to be eligible for a student visa, you need to be able to show that you have enought money either saved, or full parent support, etc., available in order to support your own living during your studies in Japan, at least for a year. I suppose the college is going to take your application to study, then apply on your behalf for the student visa, so they need to see that evidence for them to apply.
Part-time job is not permitted during your first few months in Japan anyway (you need to apply for a separate permit to engage in paid part-time work while on student visa, and that is conditioned on good attendance and good grades), so it would be appropriate to have some saving in advance in any case.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread