Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Proper etiquette at a Japanese wedding? 2009/2/13 06:08
My husband and I are going to japan for the first time in June to be guests at a wedding. What is the proper attire? When (and how) are gifts presented? What is the proper etiquette for a guest? We don't know yet if the wedding will be traditional or western - my guess is both
by Carol (guest)  

... 2009/2/13 11:42
My husband and I are going to japan for the first time in June to be guests at a wedding. What is the proper attire?

Men typically wear dark suits but avoid black ties (those are reserved for funerals). A tux on a guest is rather unusual and will stand out. Women typically wear dresses.

When (and how) are gifts presented?

Japanese wedding presents consist of money (typically 30000+ yen depending on your relation to the bride and groom) in a special envelope, called shugi bukuro. They look like this:

http://images.google.com/images?q=shugi%20bukuro&source...

They can be bought at stationary stores, convenience stores, and even 100 yen stores. You write your name on the front and give it to the reception table when arriving at the wedding.

What is the proper etiquette for a guest?

Everyone takes tons of pictures. Don't be shy about it. The bride and groom don't have much face time with guests, but you can go up to the head table to take pictures with them if you want. You'll know when to go because everyone else will be going up too. There should be a reception line at the end as well.

check out more info here:

http://gojapan.about.com/cs/traditionculture/a/japanese...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Happy Wedding 2009/2/13 20:13
Similar questions have been asked many times before on this forum, but unfortunately they are difficult to search, even by using the search engine.

As for gifts, you can also send items instead of cash. Be it an item or cash, if you have the opportunity to meet the bride or groom before the wedding day, you can hand it to them there. If it's an item, do avoid bringing it to the wedding or reception. It would be a burden for the busy couple to bring it home. Ask the couple if you can bring it along on an advanced date, or just send it by parcel.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

P.S. - style 2009/2/13 20:17
It doesn't really make a difference whether the wedding/banquette is held in Japanese style or Western style. The general etiquette is completely the same for guests.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread