Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Part time job with tankikatsudou visa? 2009/2/20 09:45
Does anyone know whether tankikatsudou visa (the one you get for job hunting after graduation from Japanese university) allows you to do part time job? If so how many hours per week?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance! All the information about tankikatsudou visa would be greatly appreciated!
by Val (guest)  

... 2009/2/20 16:01
The nature of this "tanki katsudou visa" seems to be close to that of Temporary Visitor Visa; if you are from a country where this Temporary Visitor status is available (visa waiver program), you do not need to apply for it

You apply for it upon graduation from a Japanese university to allow you to look for a job, without having to go back to your country or find an employer before you graduate to switch seamlessly from your college visa to work-permitting visa.

As such (I have not been able to find anything definitive), no paid work is allowed, according to the website of an international labor law firm, and you need to be able to show that you have enough financial means to cover your expenses during your stay in Japan.

Oh, here is some information; a newsletter issued by Asian Students Association, saying that now not only university graduate but those who completed specialized schools can apply for this too. if you scroll down to III on page 2, it says you can apply for special permit to work, just like you could under your college visa:
http://www.abk.or.jp/asia/pdf/20060817a.pdf

They also say handling differs from one Immigration Office to another (which shouldn't!) so be sure to ask.
by AK rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2009/2/20 17:08
Dear AK,

Thanks a lot for your kindly help and looking into the issue. Unfortunately, I am not applicable for visa waiver program and do need to change the status of my current college student visa to temporary visitor one to proceed with my job hunting.

The matter is that I am to graduate the university in April and my job seemed to be already decided in summer, albeit because of the crisis it was canceled at the last moment...I definitely would like to stay here and search for another one. Giving up so easily is not my style!

The pdf information was of a GREAT help. It stated that I am allowed to work up to 28 hours per week which is fantastic!

Btw, it was also mentioned that I need to submit document proving that I have enough financial means for living. I wonder what do they call "enough"??? (fyi: i am planning to apply for 3 month visa)

Once again for all the help,

With warm regards,
Val
by Val (guest) rate this post as useful

I know that problem 2009/2/20 17:30
you should have 140.000yen per month.
If you search for a sponsor, than this person should have at least 3.500.000yen on his/her bank account to be qualified as Žx•ÙŽÒ.

good luck!
by dotcom (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2009/2/20 17:35
Dear dotcom,

Thank you so much for clarifying it! Finally everything is transparent for me.

Val
by Val (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread