Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Life Experience Degree 2009/2/24 08:38
Hello, I'm planning on applying to a company that teaches English conversational skills to Japanese students. I have a Bachelors, but it is a Life Experience Bachelors Degree. Has anyone had experience with these in the companies? Or know anyone who is doing it with that type of Degree? Thanks.
by IOA (guest)  

... 2009/2/24 08:50
It depends on where you obtained your degree from. If it is from an accredited university or organization then yes, that would satisfy the immigration requirement of a bachelor's degree. If it is not from an accredited organization, and it appears that the most "life experience degrees" fall into this category, then it would not satisfy the immigration requirements and you would not be able to obtain a work visa with it.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

?? 2009/2/24 08:50
In other words, you haven't graduated from university? Or is this some new qualification I haven't heard of? If you mean you have just lived for a while, that's not going to fly with Japan Immigration, who want to see a copy of your diploma (from an accredited university), or proof of 3 years+ teaching experience before they will issue you a working visa.

If you are from a Commonwealth country and are planning to come on a working holiday visa, then the life experience qualification may work with individual companies/schools, but you won't know unless you apply.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2009/2/24 08:58
Thank you for your responses so far. It is an accredited school, but it is apparently not accredited by the United States Government. It is an accredited by several authorities though. I guess I will have to see through which company I choose.
by IOA (guest) rate this post as useful

Just to add 2009/2/24 09:15
I assume you mean an online degree, something like continuing education. Be sure that it is accredited (by who?) to avoid later disappointment. You would want to avoid a situation where you apply for a job, the employer accepts you on the merit of the degree, to find out later through application with Immigration that that university is not recognized as "accredit university."
by AK rate this post as useful

Accreditation 2009/2/24 09:48
Well the couple companies im looking at wont even hire me till my paperwork goes through immigration. But the schoolI have my Life Experience Degree with is accredited through Interfaith Education Ministries, and the Association for Online Academic Excellence.

Online degree 2009/2/24 10:01
IOA,

But the schoolI have my Life Experience Degree with is accredited through Interfaith Education Ministries, and the Association for Online Academic Excellence.

Thanks for that chuckle this morning. How much did your "degree" cost? You realize it has about as much value as a sheet of toilet paper?

But seriously, and as others have already mentioned above, while the Japanese Immigration Bureau doesn't recognize online or "life experience" degrees, it does recognize previous work (i.e. teaching) experience in lieu of a degree. If you have neither, then I'm afraid you're stuck.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Interesting 2009/2/24 11:15
Well, these are the reasons I'm asking, because I've read several forums about how people have been able to work for specific companies with Life Experience Degrees. They are based off of work history, and specific ones you are only able to get with a certain amount of it. I'm just here to gather information, no need to laugh.

Here? 2009/2/24 11:28
Specific companies in Japan?
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/24 12:00
I've read several forums about how people have been able to work for specific companies with Life Experience Degrees. They are based off of work history, and specific ones you are only able to get with a certain amount of it.

That's because immigration accepts work experience as a substitute for a bachelor's degree from an accredited university. Anywhere from 3-10+ years in a related field is required depending on the job. In this case, their life experiences degree would not have been a factor, or even considered, when immigration reviewed the visa application.

If you have 3 years of teaching experience then you may still qualify for a work visa.

No such thing 2009/2/24 13:19
Well, I'm sure you have one if you say you do but it is not a legitimate degree. It is no more real than those "deeds" you can buy for plots of land on the moon.
by silverjets rate this post as useful

... 2009/2/24 18:28
Let's try to limit the discussion to helpful comments.

IOA,
What it comes down to is whether or not the organization where you got your degree is accredited by a recognized accreditation board (by the U.S. Department of Education for example)

http://www.elearners.com/resources/agencies.asp

If so, then any degree from that university, be it rocket science or underwater basket weaving, will qualify you for the visa. Otherwise you will need a number of years of work experience in a related field to qualify (many people on this board often mention at least 3 years for teaching jobs). If you still think you qualify then submit your visa application. The worst that can happen is that you are denied.

reply to this thread