Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Chinese light soya sauce 2009/2/27 09:49
I love to cook chinese sweet sour soup, yakisoba etc...
but here in Japan (Osaka) I cannot find any chinese light soya sauce. I have bought some in China Town, but that was just normal 薄口. But I mean this a little sweet tasting sauce. like this one

http://www.insiderasia.de/shop/images/artikelbilder/02_...

do you have any idea where to get it?
I`ve tried the chicken soup powder and such stuff, but it doesn`t taste the same...
by dotcom (guest)  

shoyu 2009/2/27 12:55
Soy sauce is called "shoyu" is Japan. Have you tried the Yamasa or Kikkoman light soy sauce (I think it's reduced sodium)? Otherwise try some oyster sauce--you can buy it at any supermarket.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

hmm... 2009/2/27 13:10
no, oystersauce is totally different.
and the light soy sauce you mean is this 薄口醤油 what I tried...but this one is also too salty...

but thanx for your respond
by dotcom (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/2/27 14:26
No, what Kato mentioned is 減塩醤油 (gen-en shouyu), which is less salty.

薄口醤油 is often mistaken for 減塩醤油, actually 薄口 is just lighter only in colour, actually it can be more salty than average 醤油.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

減塩醤油 2009/2/27 14:42
well, I`ll try but I think that`s not the right one...

thanx

This one? 2009/2/27 16:38
by Hiro (guest) rate this post as useful

or this one? 2009/2/27 16:45

that easy??? 2009/2/27 16:47
hiro, you are my hero!
If I have known that I can found it that easy on rakuten...I wouldn`t have waste a years time for searching it.
I feel so stupid!

thanx a lot!!!

light 2009/2/27 19:12
I am afraid of if Rakuten one is not "light".
Second one is "薄口"(light).

Light Shoyu 2009/3/2 15:39
dotcom,

I understand you want to restrict salt for health. But light Shoyu is only about 460 mg / tbsp about 40% less sodium than regular which contains 920mg. Salt restriction is very important especially if you have hypertension.
But do you know that 460mg per tbsp is still too much sodium? A normal human being should not take in more than 2000 mg/day and the average Japanese diet is about 4000-5000 mg/day. Just try drinking the Ramen soup. That's already some 2500 mg!

So instead of worrying about Light Shoyu, I would suggest you cut salt everywhere. Just pour half portion of Shoyu.

I tell my patients to just stop taking Shoyu but that's very tough for Asians.

Chad Peterson, M.D.
by chadpeterson rate this post as useful

no, no health problem 2009/3/2 16:10
sorry, but its really not the matter of the saltcontent in soysauce.
I just want this light chinese soysauce which is used for fried noodles. the soysauce tastes a little bit like the chinese chicken soup powder which you can get here in japan, but its not the same.

but thanks for the kind advice!

^-^

@ Mr Peterson 2009/3/2 16:13
but with what kind of ingredient can you replace shoyu instead?
normal table salt?

Chinese Shoyu 2009/3/3 02:43
I don't know much about Chinese products. I know that the Kansai Shoyu is lighter and sweeter than Kanto Shoyu. You notice the big difference when you eat Soba. The broth is lighter in Kansai.
Here in Seattle, Safeway grocery store carries all kinds of Shoyu from Japan, China, Korea, Vietnam and Hawaii. They all taste slightly different.
Chad
by chadpeterson rate this post as useful

reply to this thread