Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Barefeet in sandals and hygene 2009/2/27 17:04
In the summertime it's usual to go barefeet in sandals (I've heard it's very uncool to wear socks + sandals).

But what about hygene? When you go to public places where it's necessary to remove footwear and use the slippers supplied, isn't there a health issue? What if the person before you has a foot infection such as Athlete's foot?

I'm guessing it is a concern to some, since I once went to a docs and they had a sterilizing machine for supplied slippers at the entrance, so you knew what you were being asked to use was clean.

What to do for worried slipper sharers?
by Tommy (guest)  

... 2009/2/28 10:01
When you go to public places where it's necessary to remove footwear and use the slippers supplied, isn't there a health issue?

Possibly in part because of the hygene issue, it is considered bad manner not to wear socks when you visit a place where you have to take off your shoes.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Just to add to Uji 2009/2/28 10:54
In other words, if you know you're not only visiting department stores and offices, but are going to take your shoes off at public halls or someone's home, you should go out wearing socks or nylon stockings in leather shoes or sneakers. I know someone who visited her boyfriend's conservative home in beach sandals and later the engagement was called off by the parents.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Two possible solutions 2009/2/28 12:42
You could try... not worrying so much. Athlete's foot is transmitted in places where there is water on the floor, i.e. public showers and swimming pools, not usually from slippers. I have been teaching yoga in Japan for years, which means that I walk daily in bare feet on floors which hundreds of other barefoot people are walking on (shoes must be taken off before entering a yoga studio), and we all use the toilet slippers barefoot, and I have *never once* in all these years caught athlete's foot or any kind of wart.

I actually also go to a gym and use the public bath facilities there, and also no athlete's foot, so perhaps it is not as rampant/easy to catch as you think.

If you just can't stop worrying about it, then a simple solution is to carry socks to put on when you go inside. I personally find wearing closed-in shoes in summer in Japan extremely uncomfortable, and I believe you are more likely to have foot problems due to all the sweating your feet are doing. Wear flip flops, and carry socks for putting on on the off chance that you might have to use communal slippers (probably not very often). Problem solved.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Socks 2009/2/28 16:00
As Sira wrote, just keep a pair of socks with you and use them if you happen to have to take your shoes off.
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

In fact... 2009/2/28 16:14
In fact, not many Japanese know that in tea ceremonies, you are to bring a fresh pair of white socks or "tabi" Japanese indoor footwear, and change to them as you enter the tea room.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread