Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Homestay, ofuro and feminine periods... 2009/2/28 11:16
I know the subject of menstruation and onsen have been discussed in length here before and I somewhat understood it would be better for a woman to avoid going when having her periods by respect for the other bathers... What about when you are living in a house with a ofuro? I will be staying in Japan as a homestay student and wondered what to do when I have my periods... How Japanese woman manage during that week if the family usually share the bath water? Will they only shower and don't take a bath or will they wait after anyone else bathed?

I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Thank you,
Lizzy
by Lizzy (guest)  

reasonable question!!! 2009/3/2 10:32
well, usually the guest comes first. that include the ofuro, too.
when I have my menstruation while beeing with my boyfriend`s family I go last and use a tanpon.
If you don`t use a tanpon than it would be better just to shower in front of the ofuro.
by dotcom (guest) rate this post as useful

time of.. 2009/3/2 16:09
In case you aren't aware showers in Japan are outside the bathtub (except in budget hotels). There is a "wet room" for the tub and the shower next to it, with a floor drain. The sink, washing machine and toilet are in other rooms.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

.... 2009/3/2 16:19
yeah, I meant the shower next to the bathtub.
sorry for my bad explanation.
by dotcom (guest) rate this post as useful

If you have already mentioned it... 2009/3/2 18:53
What about using public baths on period time? How do Japanese women bath there? (I ask it because I heard that many apartments don't have bath and they go to the nearby public bath house)
by bara (guest) rate this post as useful

no problem 2009/3/2 21:28
All we have to do is to avoid the tub. No one's going to peek once you enter the dressing room with your fresh clothes in your hand. No different than any of the bathrooms I've seen in Europe or the Americas. If someone asks you how the tub was, just say it was okay or whisper to the lady of the house.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank You! 2009/3/3 02:31

Thank you all for the quick answers! I was really wondering about that unavoidable aspect of my stay. Yes, I am aware the shower is outside the tub... so I guess I will stick to showering only...

Lizzy
by Lizzy (guest) rate this post as useful

Ofuro 2009/3/3 06:32
we have japanese style deep tub at our house in the states. It was quite expensive but worth it.
My J-wife does as others indicates, where only showers during that time of the month & does not soak in the tub.
by c (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread