Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Noisy Neighbors: Culture/language advice 2009/3/1 13:37
This weekend my neighbors have truly been the neighbors from hell (usually respectably quiet) and I'd welcome some advice about the best way to deal with the situation in a Japanese way. Neighbor is not over 30 years, single or sometimes couple as far as I know.

Problem: 2 days of bang, bang, bang stomping footwork around the house (it's a residential street of connected houses), came home 3-4a.m and loud thumping bass music and voices. Pretty much the same today.

Actions?
Would a Japanese do any of the following:
1. Bang the wall and yell something like: "C'mon in there, keep the noise down!"
2. Call next door and angrily ask what the hell's going on, it's 4a.m.
3. Don't complain directly, but contact the rental owners
4. Do nothing. Endure...:-(

Would your average Japanese expect a direct complaint or is it not the Japanese way?

What kind of thing would a Japanese say to express the complaint if directly, but firmly. Should I show how angry I am, or is it best to keep it calm, polite, but firm. Any hints on key Japanese phrases to use (in furigana) would be excellent, although I know there's another section for such language help.

So, any advice appreciated.
by Jenny (guest)  

my experience 2009/3/2 11:23
At my apartment we choose way nr.3
by dotcom (guest) rate this post as useful

Forgot to add.. 2009/3/2 11:33
I forgot to add option no.5 - murder the neighbor :-)
by Jenny (guest) rate this post as useful

(* ^ - ^ ) v 2009/3/2 11:58
yes, that will solve the problem...but you`ll get a bigger one, I fear
by dotcom (guest) rate this post as useful

knock knock, wtf is there. 2009/3/2 12:11
It sounds intolerable....in this case, although approaching rowdy people can be fraught, I would show faith in the mannered reserved nature of the Japanese social, and knock on the door, it would at very least satisfy your curiosity about who they are and what the hell is going on in there. Be polite and smile even maybe grin a little faintly in a maniacal way , and fix them with a stare, speak quietly....just make it clear the racket is beyond the pale and it is seriously affecting you.
by Patrick (guest) rate this post as useful

oh, yes, and.. 2009/3/2 12:14
and that you and your organisation would appreciate their co-operation in the matter.
by Patrick (guest) rate this post as useful

2 options 2009/3/2 12:19
I have found that in many cases, people will complain to the real estate agent rather than directly to the person. Me and a flatmate got kicked out of our place a few years ago for constant noise complaints against us. They were warranted to a certain extent, but no-one complained directly to us, so it was hard to work out when we were noise, and what was unacceptable noise. We would have prefered being told directly from our neighbours, but got either letters or phone calls from the real estate agent.

I think it is more polite to do it directly to your neighbour, but complaining to the real estate agent would be more common and not out of place. If it has only happened once or twice, you should let it slide, but if it is an ongoing thing for a month or so, a complaint is warranted.
by Smoke (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/2 16:53
- You say it's 3, 4 am, right? Music? Then I will go next door, knock on the door, and tell them to keep the noise down. If they don't change at all, and show nor remorse, then I might call the police (they will come to check and talk to them for you - of course you have to be there too).

- If this happens during the day, when I can contact the rental agency/landlord, then that's who I'd call (I've done it). They called the neighbor right away about it.

I am Japanese and I do complain about too-loud-TV (as it happened during football season), outragerously music, voices, partying, etc., those kinds of "clear misbehaviors" right off. What's difficult and takes a bit of careful maneuvering is when it's day-to-day, part-of-normal-life (of course normal only for your neighbors, not for you), such as kids running around or taking long showers noisily in the middle of the night (because they have late shift work, they can't do anything to change it, for example).
by AK rate this post as useful

the world and me 2009/3/2 17:34
A lot of Japanese people today seem to prefer to complain anonymously, because they are afraid of "gyaku-gire," in other words, being attacked in return. For example, putting a note in their mail box or speaking to the landlord instead might be a more common procedure.

But I've spoken directly to various annoying people of various age range and I'm always successful. The trick is to stay calm and polite so that they would do the same, and most of all to be specific on what you want them to do. If you just yell at them saying they're noisy, they won't know what to do with the shock they just experienced because of your yelling, and would try to be violent. On the other hand, if you say, "Could you turn down the music?" or "Please stop jumping up and down." they will know what to do.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread