Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Setting up Business .. then visa? 2009/3/4 17:44
Hey Guys, Well was back over in Japan again January just passed (My 4th Trip now) and I plan on the big move next year with 2 of my close friends.

We will all be going over on a working holiday visa (All from the UK and none of us with a Degree)

Our long term plan is to work as English teachers (Have TEFL Certs) and start exporting car parts back in our spare time - Since Iam the owner of a Japanese Car Club with alot of members, we thought this would be a good side earner to pay for fuel / tyres and what not.

Now, My questions.. I have been on a few websites that have told me about the Work visa thing, Iam aware it says you need a degree to gain a working visa HOWEVER I have been told by a Japanese Lawyer that it is possible to apply for a business visa in our situation?

Basically, Iam trying to ensure a way to make my trip last longer in Japan, and how to go about setting up a business as an Exporter of Car's and Parts. I have friends in the industry living there at the moment, however as you can imagine i would be potential compo and they arnt too keen on giving me much tips lol.

Any information on how would be best to go about this? Or if you know of any trusted people i could contact for help on setting up a business there?

Iv seen sites explaing basic funds required. Also, Is it possible to set up a business 3 ways with all 3 people being Gaijin and being on a WHV but applying for some form of other visa???

Thanks in advance, Its just I seem to be going round in circles here.
by murraymint  

... 2009/3/4 18:31
Note that Working Holiday Visa is a "special" arrangement to help young people experience traveling extensively in a foreign country (Japan in your case) while providing some way to help earn a bit of money to help with the travel expenses. So... after that is used up, so to say, you need to qualify for other types of work-permitting visa just like everyone else.

(1) The requirements for "employer-sponsored" work-permitting visa is either a bachelor's degree or 4 - 10 years of work experience in the relevant field, 4 being the number of years of language teaching experience if you are going to try to teach English.

or

(2) If you want to set up your own business, I believe the category is Investor/Business Manager visa, which is said to be very difficult to obtain:
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/appendix1.html
Maybe this one was the one your lawyer acquaintance was talking about.

Somewhat related thread about opening a business:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+3...
by AK rate this post as useful

Yup thats the one! 2009/3/4 18:37
Thanks AK, The second one is the one Im looking for more information on.

I know of someone who has a successful business world wide now doing what I want to do. He's from the same location as me originally and had been living in Japan with his own Garage and Japanese mecahnic etc.

Very lucky man, he does not have a degree tho and is not married to a Japanese person. However on asking for more detailed information, I felt he was a tad reluctant to onpass.. well, since I would be some form of compo to him I can understand.

I know of some people there who have just been extending certain visa's they currently have, Be it tourist or what not. Although i would like to get something sorted out correctly.
by murraymint rate this post as useful

reply to this thread