Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Re-entry permit and Passport 2009/3/9 08:35
Hi all. I have a re-entry permit and visa valid upto 2011. My problem is that my passport is going to expire on June 2009 and am going back home this March for 1 week. Is there a restriction to the passport validity period when entering japan with a re-entry permit? e.g. passport should be valid at least 6 months when entering Japan etc? Thanks.
by Irkkha (guest)  

... 2009/3/9 08:59
No, there is no such restriction. As long as the passport is valid on the day you enter in Japan, you should have no problems.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Should be fine 2009/3/9 09:25
If you have a valid visa for Japan you should be fine to re-enter with less than 6 months on your passport- I have a feeling I did it myself with my last passport. Get on to renewing it as soon as you get back though.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2009/3/9 11:27
Thank you Uji and Sira. I will let you know as soon as I am back safe and sound!
by Irkkha (guest) rate this post as useful

Re-entry Permit and Passport 2009/3/9 14:17
Irkkha,

Japan does not require 6 months passport validity as opposed to what many other countries require. So you should have no problem.

However, there have been instances of over zealous airline workers who have denied boarding to foreign nationals heading to Japan. I don't know what nationality you are but the United States State Department warns that all US citizens should travel with passports with at least 6 months validity.
I am not scaring you. Just be prepared to show some evidence to some of those over zealous US airline workers who are ignorant of the unique Japanese passport vality requirement and they may mistakenly bar you from boarding the plane. I read that this happens more with US carriers than Japanese carriers who know the rules better.

Chad

by chadpeterson rate this post as useful

reply to this thread