Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tips for moving to Japan :) ? 2009/3/10 08:43
hey im 17 at the moment and hoping to move to japan within 5 years (this must have been seen hundreds of time XD ) im just wondering would going to a language school there be the right choice ? im not just goin over becuae i like anime and video games (which i do like :P ) i also like the culture and find the history amazing, so if you have any good suggestions and tips i would be more then happy to hear them :)
by Alex R S  

... 2009/3/10 09:17
It's a little hard to say since it really depends on what you want to do. You mentioned to want to go to a language school, but what about after? Work? Continue studying in Uni? I'd say do some research first and plan out your life a little more before you do something you might regret. Also, do a search on moving to japan and you'll see a lot of topics with the same question. There's a lot of helpful responses.

Another thing, have you been to Japan before? If not, try and visit and see if you like it.
by aru (guest) rate this post as useful

More specific details? 2009/3/10 09:22
What do you want to do here other than study? How will you support yourself while you study? How long do you want to stay? If you want to stay as more than a student you will need to start thinking about getting a bachelor's degree, if you aren't already thinking about it, because without one you are unlikely to get a working visa.

You could consider doing all or part of your degree here in Japan. Once you graduate, what kind of job would you want to do? It needs to be something that non-Japanese are hired to do, e.g. English teacher, or if you get qualifications in those fields, IT or finance.

Better get on to the serious Japanese language study already as well, as that will open up a lot more doors to you.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

:) 2009/3/10 10:19
well basically i wanna do eithter english teaching, or I.T (im hopefully doing an interactive games development course in september) nd yea im plannin to also go to japan to visit first cause i definintly don't want to end up goin nd not liking it
by Alex R S rate this post as useful

Perhaps not realistic 2009/3/10 13:04
When I say IT, I'm afraid I mean along the lines of systems engineer, not game developing. One, it seems like half the people who ask questions like yours on this site want to get into game designing in Japan, and two, there is no shortage of people in Japan who want to do the same thing- the chances of being hired to do something like that here are tiny. You would need to have more of a business focus in your IT studies to have a good chance of a job here.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

As has been said many other times 2009/3/10 17:32
As has been said many other times for the exact same question, I still think this is the best advice:

Go do university in your own country, during that time, study for a year in Japan on a exchange program, see for yourself during that year if you really like it or not. Right now... you're just setting yourself up for failure with no marketable skills, experience, having no real immediate support group there, and as others have said, no feasible plan.

I realize that you can become giddy and excited about the prospects of moving there but you need to sit back, consult with your guardians on how everything will be paid for, what you plan on doing while you're there, and how it's really going to benefit you in the future. For example, if you want to do video game design, what benefit will you get by teaching English there?
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread