Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

effect of earthquake 2009/3/10 21:33
How do Japan manage international students studying in Japan?Is there any risk to students due to earthquake?This might affect negatively to students willing to study on Japan?doesn't this?
by laxman maharjan (guest)  

hope this helps 2009/3/11 00:32
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, but every resident, be it international school students or ordinary school students or non-students, are free to participate in emergency drills. At most schools, emergency drills are an obligation.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/3/11 02:01
Of course there is a risk to students. Training might help, but if it is your time to die nothing will prevent it.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

quakes 2009/3/11 05:57
for your info there are earthquakes all the time, it just that most of them are barely felt. As far as I know very few, if any, international students have been hurt in a quake. I live by the Pacific ocean side of North America and we too get regular "tremblors" with little to no damage and, some times, some more serious damage but that is life... You got way more chances to be hurt in a car accident than in a quake.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Everybody here is at risk... 2009/3/11 08:27
There is risk to anyone living in an earthquake zone in a large earthquake. Small ones we feel all the time, the are mostly barely noticeable and do not cause any damage.

Yes, I imagine that the idea of a large earthquake might put some people off coming to Japan, not only students but also to work or travel. That's up to the individual.

In my case it makes little difference since my home country is also earthqukle-prone.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Japan... 2009/3/11 09:08
According to my science teacher (who is certified and all that stuff, not "just" a science teacher), Japan is one of the worst places to live, because there are 3 plate boundaries right on Japan (Pacific, Eurasian, and Australian). There are earthquakes and active volcanoes, and hurricanes.

Even with that knowledge, almost nothing can stop me going to live in Japan.
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/3/11 12:28
I've been living in Japan for 43 years and for the other 4 years of my life I lived in L.A., and never have I seen nor felt a volcano erupting. I have experienced hurricanes and typhoons, but never have I had anything damaged by it. The biggest earthquake I ever experienced happened in L.A.. The only thing I regret about it was that I was about to eat an icecream in my dream, and dad woke me up when he didn't have to, because all that broke was a couple of ornaments that dropped on our mantel.

Schools in Japan have fire drills all the time, and occasionally the setting changes to that of an earthquake drill. Fires are a lot more common than earthquakes. Also, booklets explaining earthquake damage prevention are available free of charge, in several langages, at your local city hall.

Volcanoes 2009/3/11 19:50
There aren't volcanoes in LA, because there aren't hopspots there (I mean under the plates). Isn't Mount Fuji an active volcanoes? That's why scientist watch it carefully?
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/3/11 20:04
No. Mt. Fuji is a dormant volcano.

There's always risks to everything in life, you can always worry about how something might or might not happen, the best you can do is prepare, no one can ever predict if or when something will happen, if it were that simple.

You can walk outside to the street today and get hit by a truck, life is random like that.

Last eruption was 301 years ago.http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2172.html
by ExpressTrain rate this post as useful

Yes, it's active 2009/3/11 20:23
We have actually had this discussion before on this site, and Kira is right, the experts consider Mt. Fuji to be active. From Wikipedia: "The volcano is currently classified as active with a low risk of eruption."

There have been swarms of earthquakes around Fuji in the time that I have lived in Japan- that means it is not dormant at all.

. 2009/3/11 21:47
I've never seen smoke coming out of Mt. Fuji, which is quite far from Tokyo area where I've mostly lived, but the closest truly active volcano I've lived to is probably Mt. Aso which erupts occasionally, and still I've never been told to evacuate nor have I ever felt I should. Probably the most threatening vocano I've passed close to was the Kilauea in Hawaii, btw, which is not really threatening when you look at it.

For foreign students, aren't earthquakes less threatening compared to things like housing and financing in Japan??

reikin is scary, but... 2009/3/11 22:53
Well, no- housing and financing probably won't kill you, no matter how expensive, whereas an M7 earthquake may well do! I suppose some older houses in Japan are scary- one I used to live in looked like it would definitely have fallen in on us if there was an earthqake...

reply to this thread