Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

All about asthma in japan 2009/3/10 23:39
I have been living in Japan for 3yrs and have just got to the stage where I need to see a doctor for my asthma, not because its got any worse but because Ive run out of ventolin. I am hoping to go and get some ventolin and a preventative. I was wondering if anyone can give me the japanese names for the above 2 sprays and if possible some details of your own cases. Thanks
by GGC  

I'm no doctor but 2009/3/11 09:01
In Japan, Ventolin (UK), the general name being Albuterol (US) or Sulbutamol, seems to be prescribed under the name of Sultanol Inhaler by GlaxoSmithKline or Venetlin by Sankyo Pharmaceutical.

If you say you've been using Ventolin (pronounced more like "bentorin"), the doctor will know what you mean.
by AK rate this post as useful

From a doctor 2009/3/11 13:01
GGC,

Albuterol is the generic name for bronchodilator inhaler drug used for the treatment of asthmatic bronchospasm. It is manufactured and sold as different brand names, all of which are the same except for the slight differences in mechanical apparatus, propellant (HFA or CFC) and delivery agent.

Ventolin HFA, Ventolin, Ventorlin, Proventil, Proventil HFA, ProAir, ProAir HFA, Accuneb, Salbutamol, Volmax and Asthalin are all Albuterol. HFA uses alternative propellant as opposed to the older CFC (Chlorofluorocarbon).

Asthma is very common in Japan because of wet temperate climate.

Tell your doctor you need Albuterol (アルブテロール).

It think Sankyo Seiyaku (Pharmaceutical) has a patent to make this generic Albuterol.

Take care.

Chad Peterson, M.D.
by chadpeterson rate this post as useful

reply to this thread