Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do Japanese pizza taste good? 2004/6/13 10:26
I love Japan!!!!
by misha dean  

Japanese pizza 2004/6/13 13:54
Yes, provided you like corn, squid, corn, and seaweed. And did I mention the corn?
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... and omochi 2004/6/13 14:05
Omochi (rice cake) pizza is my family's favorite.

Apart from the Japanzized pizze, you can also find places that offer traditional Italian and American style pizze. Depending on the store, they can be very good.
by Uji rate this post as useful

I never order corn, squid and seaweed 2004/6/13 23:23
I order a plain pizza with my favorite toppings like anchovi, Italian sausage, black olives, green pepper and diced tomatoes, usually from Pizza Hut, Domino's or the like, but sometimes compromise with others to get tacos for side orders.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Nor do I order onions or mayo 2004/6/13 23:41

??? Corn is Yummy! 2004/6/14 10:42
"Yes, provided you like corn, squid, corn, and seaweed. And did I mention the corn?"

Your worried about the corn?? Where were you born?! Squid and seaweed yuck!

Corn and mayo with potato is delicious.

There are regular western style pizzas in Japan. The quality is quite good. I had one that tasted just like home.

BUT the price is prohibitively insane! Its like its some kinda gaijin tax. For the same price, you could eat some burgers and then go to a stripclub/prostitute.

There is rumor of 1200 yen pizzas though..
by Kieas rate this post as useful

Italian 2004/6/14 10:48
There are some really authentic Italian pizza places in Tokyo with woodburning brick oven in plain view. Prices are ridiculous though, a one person pizza can easily be 3000yen, depending on topping, but they are really tasty.

Haven't found any authentic deep dish Chicago-styled pizza yet though.
by Lynn rate this post as useful

US base 2004/6/14 11:28
I've never tried, but I heard that US bases in Japan are the only places where you can eat real American pizza.
by pacman rate this post as useful

US base 2004/6/14 16:24
There's a variety of authentic American food you can get only inside the base. To be precise, only people who work or live inside the base can get them. We only get to have a part of it upon their rare festivals :)

pizza 2004/6/15 07:34
If you are asking if you can get "normal American style pizza" in Japan, the answer is yes.
There are lots of Pizza Huts in Japan, and my favourite there is the Korean Barbecue pizza, which lends a less American flavour to an American pizza.
Expect to pay about 3000 yen if you get it home delivered!!!!
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Costco 2004/6/15 09:54
I forgot to mention Costco. Just like the ones back home, there is a cafe at the Costco in Chiba as well, and pizzas sold there taste just like the Costco pizzas in the States. Price is not bad either, although I cannot remember exactly how much it is now.

Pizza Hut and Domino's do taste different in Japan, even the most basic pepperoni pizza has a strange Japanese taste.
by Lynn rate this post as useful

What types of cheeese in Japanese pizza? 2004/8/22 07:30
The best pizza I ever had was in a small town in Italy with real goat cheese, but Japanese pizza was great too. It was more gourmet than American pizza, although I like that too.
I think they use different cheeses besides mozzerella. Does anyone here know what cheeses are used?

Thanks, Honolulu no Drew
by Honolulu no Drew rate this post as useful

potato 2004/8/22 18:33
I only had once a pizza in Japan, home delivered in Takatsuki and it had potatoes on it. Very strange but the taste was good but it was pretty expensive. www.zapguz.dse
by zapguz rate this post as useful

Hehe 2004/8/23 11:13
Pizza hut sells quiet a tasty artery clogger called "Purukogi pizza" and on the 8th 9th and 10th of every month pizza hut is Half price... bringing the cost of a L size pizza down to just 1500yen.
by Azumi rate this post as useful

pizza 2004/8/28 22:01
I guess... its really expensive though.. I really don't like the prices.... When we go to the bases for sports (i goto an international school) we can go to the food court and buy food there. Its really cheap in the bases. hm..
I dont like Costco's pizza. you get tired of it really quickly. Theres a Costco out here in Tama as well. (someone mentioned the one in Chiba)
by Tai D. rate this post as useful

Seaweed 2006/6/22 10:39
I just loved seaweed as a topping on the pizza! Yummi. But what kind of seaweed is it? I mean, the name in japanese? Those short, thin ones :)
by Zeeve rate this post as useful

re: seeweed 2006/6/22 16:53
I just loved seaweed as a topping on the pizza! Yummi. But what kind of seaweed is it? I mean, the name in japanese? Those short, thin ones :)

If it was black and tried, it must be "nori".
by usako rate this post as useful

Purugogi pizza 2006/6/23 01:18
FYI- Purugogi is the Japanese pronunciation of Bulgogi/Pulgogi, Korean-style teriyaki.

Karubi=Kalbi, Korean short ribs, another popular food.
by nanshi rate this post as useful

Pizza-la! 2007/10/12 13:54
Pizza-la is the best. The ingredients they use are top-notch and they offer some good, original pizzas. I like the Kodawari line they best which has a Basil Shrimp/Clam Pizza, Proscuitto and Argula Pizza, and a Veshamel white sause with spinach&ham pizza. Only Pizza-la is available for delivery in Ishioka, but the other chains are Pizza hut and Dominos.

Here is an English menu:

www.pizza-la.co.jp/menu_e/menu110_pub.html
by Joe rate this post as useful

reply to this thread