Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Presents for host family 2009/6/28 03:32
I am a university student from Switzerland and I will be staying with a Japanese family this summer. I have troubles finding the right presents for the Mum, Dad, two daughters and one grandchild. I would like to give them something useful and nice. I heard towels in Japan are tiny so people appreciate big towels from abroad. Is this correct? I'd be very grateful for your suggestions!Thanks!
by danscenequeen  

...... 2009/6/28 14:57
I heard towels in Japan are tiny so people appreciate big towels from abroad. Is this correct?

I've never heard of this...

Normally people try to bring food from their country, unless, of course, you know the family members well already that you can choose gift for each of them.
by AK rate this post as useful

hand cream 2009/6/28 16:59
Last year we have found things like hand cream that is unique to your country very well received by the ladies: so much so that we were specifically requested to bring it again this year. Books (lightweight ones) about your country are also very well received.
by fmj rate this post as useful

Towels = Good Idea~ 2009/6/28 23:41
It's true in Asian countries the towels are small and thin. Large towels are a good idea!
by Kit (guest) rate this post as useful

towels 2009/6/29 08:32
I heard towels in Japan are tiny so people appreciate big towels from abroad. Is this correct?

This is simply not true.

It's true in Asian countries the towels are small and thin. Large towels are a good idea!

I don't know about other asian countries but Japan has large sized bath towels. The towels that people often gift are hand towels, and not the only towels available in Japan.

I agree that food would be a better gift. Easier to carry and much more representative of your country.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2009/6/29 10:05
While it is true Japanese bath towels are not as big as hotel towels that Americans seem to prefer, I think they are big enough. Besides, I don't think those thick and heavy towels are convenient for Japanese life style.

Some local foods, cofee, tea, and so on will be more appreciates.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

small towels 2009/7/1 17:16
I have stayed with 2 different host families in Japan twice each, and both had towels that were maybe twice the size of a regular hand towel. Coming from Australia, this was very small for me.

However, like others have pointed out, I don't think all families are like this, and I think it would be a bit weird giving them larger towels. I say just go with something native to your own country.
by chompalomp2 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread