Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

ramen or soba without meat 2009/6/28 06:36
I was wondering if it was possible or common to find ramen or soba without meat or meat broth. My wife and I eat fish and seafood, but not meat or poultry. If it is possible to find this item, what should I be looking for on menus or asking for when I order? Thanks for your time.
by westcoastwanderer (guest)  

Udon and Soba are ok 2009/6/28 15:41
Udon and Soba usually come without meat or meat broth. So they won't be a problem for you.

Ramen, on the other hand, usually comes with meat, meat broth or oil. It will be somewhat tricky job to find hot Ramen without meat broth, without understanding Japanese.
by ts (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/28 15:53
Soba or udon soup is normally based on seaweed and/or fish broth, so that should be OK.

For ramen, chicken, pork or beef soup base is used.

If you want to eat ramen with fish-based soup, you wil need to ask to find a specialty ramen shop that specializes (and advertises) that it uses only fish stock soup. (Ramen restaurants normally have a big pot where they cook the ingredients for soup stock used for all noodle menu items, so it's not that some items at one shop contain fish soup and others meat broth, etc.)
by AK rate this post as useful

agreed 2009/6/28 15:55
It will be somewhat tricky job to find hot Ramen without meat broth, without understanding Japanese.

Its more like an impossible search. The base for pretty much all hot ramen soups are either pork or chicken broth. The one non meatbroth ramen that is commonly available is hiyashi chuka, cold ramen, but it has ham and egg as toppings (which can easily be picked off).

As Ts mentioned, you'll have many more choices if you go to an udon or soba restaurant as the base of udon and soba soups are fish stock (with a few exceptions such as curry udon).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread