Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What should I wear in July? 2009/7/4 02:25
Hi everyone, I'm going to do a homestay in about a week, and since it is the weekend, I decided to start packing. I have read about Japanese culture and learning the language for about 2 years so I know that they tend to be conservative but since I'm a 17 year old guy I wanted to know what to wear (just a rundown on each situation, because I will be doing tourist things and formal events). Also, is it okay to wear shorts, T shirts, etc.? By the way, I was thinking about shorts with a polo for regular days. Thanks!
by KingAndCountry17 (guest)  

Welcome to Japan 2009/7/4 09:21
Well, I'm not sure if you call Japanese teen fashion "conservative" at all, but yes, shorts, T shirts and polo shirts are okay for regular days. Keep in mind that knee-high baggy shorts are in but shorter or tighter ones are off at the moment. You can always buy shirts and shorts in Japan, so don't worry too much. Hope you have fun!
by Uco, Japanese mom of a 17 year old (guest) rate this post as useful

details 2009/7/4 09:23
Where in Japan will you be going? There is quite a climate difference between north and south, so you need to tell us exactly where you will be.

Generally it should be fine to wear a polo or T-shirt and as long as the shorts are at or near knee-length, that's ok too. There are some parts of Japan where you might need a light sweater, even in July, and the airconditioning can be very strong anywhere in Japan, so it's often best to carry a light sweater.

It is very hot and humid here in many of the major sightseeing areas, so bring plenty of changes of clothes as you might want to wear more than one shirt a day.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Going to Chichibu? 2009/7/5 08:43
I just wondered if I'm going with you. I'm going over there too in about a week, sister-city of Chichibu in Saitama. I've heard the weather if pretty intense, especially if you're not used to humidity (which I'm not, and I hate humidity!!!!).

I bought just above the knee shorts, buttoned short sleeve shirts that can be worn closed or open with a t-shirt underneath. Sandals, Thongs (flip-flops), I'm bringing one pair of pants just in case.

I was curious how long the humidity lasts as I'll be staying longer until the end of September.
by pigumon rate this post as useful

about that long 2009/7/5 09:52
pigumon- the humidity lasts about until the end of September- early October. The mornings and evenings start to get a little cooler by then (i.e. less than about 23 degrees), but daytime highs can still go over 30.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

drier in Sept 2009/7/5 14:14
Well, it depends on what you call "humid", but by the beginning of September, the climate does because drier although the temperture may be still high. When I came home after living in chapped Los Angeles for nearly five years, I found it was much more comfortable in September than it was during June to August. And then in November, it really starts to get drier and colder so that you constantly need lip balm and hand cream (but not as dry as L.A.).
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

I'm in very Dry California. 2009/7/8 14:59
I live about an hour inland, so there is not much humidity here at all. I remember stopping at the airport in Texas and feeling like I couldn't breathe it was so humid. So I'm a bit nervous.
by pigumon rate this post as useful

Shoes vs Sandals 2009/7/8 15:22
Just a thought, I know sandals and thongs SEEM cooler, but given the amount of walking you are most likely to do in Japan, you might like to consider proper shoes and socks (obviously something to match your shorts) - your feet might thank you in the long run.

Nothing worse than hot sweaty dirty feet when you're out all day with no chance of changing.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

uniqlo 2009/7/9 10:18
just go shopping at uniqlo when you get here. when you arrive you're going to find all your western clothes are pretty much out of fashion. for example you won't find too many guys here (in japan) wearing normal western socks with sneakers. there are little sneaker socks that only come up to your ankle that you can buy at most 100yen shops.

also as already mentioned tighter fitting clothes are more popular here and really loose casual baggy stuff is not so in.

a polo or golf shirt will definitely mark you as a foreigner (or as an old man..) but it's ok because it tends to look good and the girls here like it.

bring lots of deodorant or even better, antiperspirant. you will sweat buckets, it's way hot and humid here. picture being in a florida swamp in the middle of summer and multiply it by a hundred, that's kind of what it's like here.
by Winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

clothes 2009/7/9 10:35
Also, is it okay to wear shorts, T shirts, etc.? By the way, I was thinking about shorts with a polo for regular days. Thanks!

This will be fine for everyday wear.

just go shopping at uniqlo when you get here. when you arrive you're going to find all your western clothes are pretty much out of fashion.

I don't really agree with this too much. First of all on a short homestay there is no need to try to fit in with the fashion. Its not like you will be able to camouflage your foreignness, and on a sister city exchange it'd be better that you represent your home culture. Anyway, I don't think you'll find the fashion that different from where you're from. Of course the extremes will be different, but that's why they're extreme.

for example you won't find too many guys here (in japan) wearing normal western socks with sneakers. there are little sneaker socks that only come up to your ankle that you can buy at most 100yen shops.

what are normal western socks? I'm guessing you mean calf height?

I don't know where you're from, but I'm from California and short, nearly invisible socks have been in style for the last 10 years or so.

also as already mentioned tighter fitting clothes are more popular here and really loose casual baggy stuff is not so in.

Yea, tighter clothing is definitely in, but so it baggy clothes. It depends on what fashion trend you belong to, and they all have strong followings that depend a lot on where you're located.

a polo or golf shirt will definitely mark you as a foreigner (or as an old man..) but it's ok because it tends to look good and the girls here like it

I don't find this to be the case at all. At least where I'm located polo shirts are always in fashion.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread