Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

Where to look for a pet dog in Japan? 2004/6/22 11:27
Where do Japanese people advertise dogs for sale? Is there one newspaper, magazine, or website that should be checked more than all others to find a pet? Mary
by Mary  

hope you'll find one (or more) 2004/6/22 23:51
There are a lot of pet shops in Japan, so you can buy cats and dogs from them. But if you buy something from them I think it's better to take it to the vet and have it checked. I once bought 2 kittens from a petshop but they both died afer a couple of months - they suddenly had breathing problem and died in pain...
Also, if you have some friends who have pets, and their pets have just had kittens/puppies, then ask them if you can have one (most people give them away after a couple of months). It's probably the best way. I, on the other hand, raised stray kittens (people just throw them away in a park, temples etc.)with a milk bottle. At one time we (our family) had 13 cats in the house!
by Yahata-san rate this post as useful

Websites 2004/6/23 00:48
I'm not sure about dogs, but a friend of mine is quite an expert on finding homes for stray cats, and she uses websites. There are plenty of these sites for dogs and cats, and she's listed the cat ones with best reputations.

Also, in Japan, stray dogs are strictly captured and put to sleep after a certain amount of time waiting for an owner to show up. You can ask the public health center (hokenjo) for details. But I hear it's a very sad scene.

In any case, as stated on those various websites, it is important to use questionairres and interviews to find the right owner who doesn't abuse animals.

I hope you find a nice pet. Also keep in mind the Japanese require strict manners on keeping pets.
by Uco rate this post as useful

dogs 2004/6/23 10:39
Whatever you do, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT, under any circumstances, buy a dog from a pet shop, especially the ones with cages lined up on one wall with all the popular breeds. Most, if not all, petshops get their dog supply form puppy mills and we must not create the demand.

Sadly, a lot of Japanese people buy dogs because they are cute, or in fashion, only to find out later that their lifestyle does not allow them to keep it. So they throw them away. I think the best, and most economical way (buying a pure bread dog costs you at least $1000) is to adopt one from a shelter. Dogs that are sent to the shelters are not given too much time before they are euthanized so if you are in a position to give one a chance to live, please consider this.

If you must buy a puppy, consider going to dog shows and talk to the breeders. A breeder will let you visit his/her house to see the conditions where the parents live. And a good breeder cares about their dogs and will let you return a dog (probably won't get all your money back) if for some reason you decide not to keep it later on.
by Lynn rate this post as useful

Lynn 2004/6/23 14:55
Thou art a saint. I wish the world had more people like you in it.

Also, please get your animal fixed. Unless you are a breeder, and know what you are doing, there is no reason not to. Fixed animals live longer, are less aggressive, and don't contribute to surplus pet populations (the kinds you see on the streets and killed in pounds because they are unwanted).
by Mokurai rate this post as useful

Good dog breeders 2004/7/22 17:33
How does one find a reputable dog breeder that cares for his dogs in Japan? Can you suggest one or two, preferably in Kansai, with contact details?
by William rate this post as useful

Dog shows 2004/7/23 09:22
Hi William,

I live in Tokyo, and every year there are a couple of big dog shows. Did a search and found this for the Kansai area in the "Kansai Scene Magazine", but I am sure there are more.

Dec. 14
International Dog Show
The biggest dog show in West Japan. Purebreds will gather from all over the country to compete for championship. Intex Osaka Hall 6A. 9am-5pm
Admission: 500
Tel: 0797-72-1290

If you have a particular breed in mind, the best way to find a good breeder is to go to the dog shows and talk to them. You will get to see their dogs on hand and find out their policy for prospective buyers. Good breeders usually have stringent screening criteria for the buyer (they don't want their puppy to go to unsuitable homes). Also, you will probably have to wait for a few months before getting a puppy, because they usually limit the number of litters produced in a year.

Another way to find a dog breeder is maybe to talk to your local vet. They probably can recommend you someone.

To Mokurai,

I agree with you 100% on the neutering/spaying issue. If only vets in Japan could do more to promote this.

Home Store pet shops 2004/7/23 12:05
Another thing NOT to believe, aspecialy in home stores , is " award winning parents " as a description for the puppy.. This is faulse advertising!
by Azumi rate this post as useful

Where to advertise top dogs in Japan 2004/7/26 00:11
Thank you all for your many helpful replies. I asked the question because I wanted to see how the consumer there thinks about purchasing a pet. It is much like the US. The reason I wanted to know is that I breed and sell top winning Borzois (Russian Wolfhounds) and have sold 5 dogs to lovers of Borzoi in Japan. Every dog I have sold to Japan has gone to a wonderful home and is shown at the dog shows. Every one has made it to #1 Borzoi, #1 Hound, and to some place on the All Breed list. Twice my dogs have gone #1 All Breeds in Japan and that occurred in 1999 abd 2003. They have won over 30 Best in Shows in Japan alone. They are also very healthy and very sweet companion animals. No exspense is spared to do all the health testing that is available to insure the line is vigorous.

My problem is that the people who have purchsed my dogs keep the sourse of them a big secret because they don't want others to buy them so that thjey have to compete against them. It is an obscure breed with perhaps only about 800 breeders in the world, and the quality world wide is not very deep. It is not a breed that anyone breeds for profit as there is birtually no demand no matter how good, healthy and sweet they are. You only breed Borzois as an art form striving to create the perfect dog. I thought I might be able to open up my market to some small extent based on the success of the dogs I have already sent there. They have surpassed all expectations of their opwners.

That is why I have asked where Japanese people look for dogs. I would never sell to a pet shop but only to a private person who is prepared to properly care for a big dog.

Do Japanese people advertise pets in the newspaper? What newspapers? Do memebrs think that I might have success doing this, or is there a magazine that might be better?

Mary
by Mary Richter rate this post as useful

Borzois 2004/7/26 13:13
I have actually seen a couple in Japan, one just last week in fact. They are such beautiful creatures, but I would have never imagined that they were bred as wolfhounds, as they seem pretty frail for that job. The one I met last week was a 1-y.o. female. She was so skinny that her hip bones were covered by only a layer of skin. I was afraid to let my dog even play with her, for fear that she might break or bone or two. Are they supposed to be so skinny?

Back to your question though, am not sure if opinions on this board reflect what the majority of the Japanese population thinks. As far as I can tell, the dog buying trend is swayed by popular media. Dalmatians was popular after Disney's 101 Dalmatians, and now because of a commercial series with a long haired chihuahua, they have become the #1 top selling dogs in Japan.

But I assume people who buy a dog on a whim are not your targeted market anyway. It's a pity your clients won't spread the word for you.
Although I have seen breeders advertise in newspapers, I personally have reservations about breeders who put out ads in papers.

I found this website for borzois, and hope it can be of help. It's all in Japanese though, but if you enter "Borzoi Avenue" and click on E-Mail towards the bottom of the page, you can write to the site administrator. Hopefully they understand English and can give you some pointers.

where are you come from? 2004/9/25 01:11
thailand
by ploy rate this post as useful

Borzoi Breeder in Vermont, USA 2004/9/25 09:07
Hi, Theintial question is mine. I am a Borzoi breeder in the Vermont, USA.

Some one asked if the breed should be so skinny. The breed should be lightly fleshed over the hip bones with tremendous shoulder and thigh muscles but that is if they are in hard running condition. Many a house pet has a softer but nicely fleashed body. There should be a slight dent between the hip bones. If it goes straight across from hip bone to hip bone they are just a pound ot two overweight. If they are fleshy and rounded between the hip bones they are fat.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Mary
by Mary rate this post as useful

Consider ARK, not a pet store 2005/7/28 07:57
Pet stores in America are terrible and pet stores in Japan are even worse. Please consider rescuing a dog, possibly from Animal Rescue Kansai, www.arkbark.net. If you must buy a purebred puppy, buy from a responsible breeder and not a pet store. Thanks and good luck with your dog!
by Lemur-Cat rate this post as useful

Looking for Pet Stores in Japan 2006/7/1 23:30
Hi, I am in japan, I have been buying treats and products for my pet dogs back home in Singapore. I happen to be in Japan, Tokyo in Shinjuku and have only found a few pet stores at the roof tops of certain malls. The Dog and Cat time square park closed down in Jan 2006 this year. I have been trying to find a map or at least addresses of some pet stores in the area where I am staying but so far no luck. I can't understand Japanese words but at least if someone can help me with a link to an online directory, I can look it up and match the words on the local map. Any help would be much appreciated. You can email me at petworld_2006@yahoo.com (Do not be mistaken, I don't run a pet shop). My email happen to be petworld. thanks a whole bunch
by petman rate this post as useful

pet shop in shinjuku 2006/7/8 13:17
Hi Petman, how about the pet shop Kojima in Shinjuku?

http://pets-kojima.com/shop/65/

Pet Forest has home delivery service as well, but I have never use it as I live near to the ones in Azamino (Den-en Toshi Line) and Shin-yurigaoka (odakyu line).

http://www.petforest.co.jp/
by JJ rate this post as useful

Bulldogs in Japan 2007/3/30 10:23
Hi,

I'm a Canadian citizen living in Tokyo. I'm trying to find a bulldog puppy to adopt. I was going to buy one from an online breeder, but the import laws to Japan are so strict! And there are so many scams out there I don't feel comfortable buying online. Can anyone tell me where to go to buy a bulldog puppy in Tokyo?
by Rob rate this post as useful

Pembroke Welsh Corgi in Nagoya 2007/4/9 08:38
I am looking for a male PWC in Nagoya. Does anyone know of any breeders in the area? I would prefer a breeder to a pet store like Kojima. Thanks.
by Alex rate this post as useful

finding a dog in japan 2007/7/9 06:26
www.dogoo.com has a section where breeders can advertise their puppies. Sorry, it's all in japanese.
I have no idea what kind of traffic this site generates or how successful this advertising is. Some of the ads link back to pet shops anyway, but some are direct from breeders.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

Stray cats 2007/9/3 22:12
I know this post isn't specifically about dogs, but it I think it still fits the pet theme of the discussion thread.

I've noticed a lot of stray cats in my area (Sendagi, Hongo), and I was wondering if this is common in Tokyo. I am a dog person (I posted another thread about that), but I kind of feel bad for these cats. They seem nice enough, though they are skittish around people, but they look like they could use a few good meals. Is there any way to for these strays to get some decent care?
by Bob rate this post as useful

Sad reality 2007/9/4 10:00
Bob, cat lovers call them "SOTONEKO (cat living outside)." There are many people and organizations extending a helping hand to them. In some parts of Tokyo (and other areas), the concept of "CHIIKI NEKO (cat belonging to a community)" came into being. There, cats are accepted and fed as community pets while they are given an infertility treatment to stop them from breeding. Most community cats have a small pierce on their earlobe to distinghish them from other cats. (so they are not taken into custody by Public Health Office)

Having said that, most of SOTONEKO are having a tough life and once they are taken into custody by Public Health Office, they are gassed to the death unless a few kind people/NGOs adopt them and this reality always makes me sad.
by JLady (a devout cat lover) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

reply to this thread