Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is there any dress code for tourists? 2009/7/15 22:08
Hey guys!
I am going to Japan for holidays and I was wondering whether there is any dress code among tourists. Are men or women required to wear long-legged trousers/long skirts? or are shorts okay? And what about visiting a Shrine? Is there any dress code for that purpose (long sleeves, covering one's head, etc.)?
I would be really glad to get a quick answer! Thank you!
by Katha (guest)  

no dress code 2009/7/16 08:20
No, there is no dress code, whatsoever. Wear what you like, within reason. In Tokyo and other large cities you will see people wearing a huge range of styles, including shorts and tanktops in summer.

As long as it's not a bikini, you can also wear what you like to a shrine or temple- no need to cover your knees, shoulders, or head.

Be aware though that in summer it is extremely hot and humid here, and that you will also be going in and out of strongly air-conditioned buildings and trains often- bring appropriate clothing for those situations.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Agree 2009/7/16 08:54
Agree with Sira. Wear whatever you want, but I'd err on the slightly conservative side - you'll already stick out as a foreigner, no point adding fuel to the fire. But then again, Japan is a truly a land of contrasts. Depends how self conscious you are about your looks I guess - the fact you have asked this question tells me you do care - so I'd add generally grossly wide stereotype but on average, Japanese dress better than many western countries - keep that in mind if trying to get in to restaurants, and upmarket shops etc, if that is your scene.

Anything goes, honestly.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

More on dresscode..... 2009/7/16 09:34
I agree, you can wear more or less whatever you want to - even at shrines and temples.
Some light cotton is the most comfortable at this time of year.

Just for the record, i want to comment on the previous post by John, reg. "not adding fuel to the fire": My experience is, that most Japanese are very friendly, very interested, and in general has a positive attitude towards foreigners, so i dont see any "fire";-)
by Th0mas24 rate this post as useful

:) 2009/7/16 09:51
Just my colourful way of speaking. I have more ties to Japan than most people here realise. And I have more respect for Japanese than my own race. ;)
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread