Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Someone gave me a mimikaki? 2009/7/17 11:42
A student of mine recently gave me some chocolates and a mimikaki after a trip to Saipan.

Does a mimikaki as a gift have any cultural or other significance? I only ask because I know it's generally a tool used between intimate couples or family members.

We have a friendly and positive relationship so I'm quite certain she wasn't trying to say something rude like "Clean your ears!" (I'm quite hygienic anyways!) I'm just wondering if there's any significance or meaning in giving a mimikaki.

Thanks!
by mimikaki (guest)  

. 2009/7/17 16:53
Does a mimikaki as a gift have any cultural or other significance? I only ask because I know it's generally a tool used between intimate couples or family members.

No. Not that I know of. At least not in the sense of "intimate couples or family members."

But I do hear that mimikaki is a tool quite unique to Japan, and surely a mimikaki from Saipan sounds even more unique. I would be amused if someone gave me a mimikaki as a souvenior from Saipan, because for one, I never imagined that such a thing exists. Also, I would assume that it was inexpensive. For the sender, perhaps it was something like getting you a mobile phone strap or a key holder or a pin badge as a souvenior, but only a bit more amusing.
by Uco, Japanese who's been to Saipan (guest) rate this post as useful

made for Japanese 2009/7/17 17:21
I'd be willing to bet that any mimikaki in Saipan are made specifically for the Japanese tourist market, so not really a native thing.

Definitely a unique souvenir, as Uco san says!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/17 21:23
A mimikaki is one of typical items along with a mobile phone strap, a key holder or something like that you can see at any souvenir shops around Japan. So a mimikaki as a gift is not unusual here. Btw, I don't think everyone would be very happy if given one made as a souvenir since such a souvenir-oriented mimikaki is commonly a bit too decorative and not comfortable to use.

But it's interesting that they make and sell mimikaki specifically intended for Japanese tourists even in Saipan.
by mm (guest) rate this post as useful

black ear swabs 2009/7/18 00:04
I heard that black cotton swab is popular as Japanese souvenir.
Just mimikaki, but there are many materials. Banboo, ceder, ebony, ivory, gold, etc. Even optical fiber with a bulid-in scope camera! And decorated with a colorful charm, shaped cartoon characters . Souveir shops stock location-themed charm.

At Yamamoto mimikaki clinic, you can try mimikaki on the charming yukata woman's lap .
http://www.yamamotomimikaki.com/system.html
by 5326 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread