Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gift ideas (from the US) 2009/7/24 03:28
So I live in the US (Chicagoland area) and I'm going to visit family in Japan. I am having so much trouble thinking up general gifts for my cousins and aunts/uncles. Money is tight, but I KNOW there has to be some good gift ideas that won't burn a hole in my wallet.

Another gift idea is something for my girlfriend's mom...I've been dating my girlfriend nearly 2 years now and this will be the first time meeting her mom. Even though I'm a Japanese-American, this is the first Japanese girl I've ever dated and I have no idea what her mom expects of me. I'm not necessarily worried, but I do want to bring a good gift...but what??

Here's some things really random things people I know have brought back from the US:

1) Tide pen stain remover (the kind you bring with you on the go, my friend said Japan doesn't have these)

2) Chocolate covered pretzels from Trader Joe's (they are really, really good!)

Otherwise, Japan has so many good things, it's so hard to think of something. I'd love to bring something American like...BBQing in someone's backyard on a nice summer day with a cold beer in hand, but I haven't seen any in stock at Walmart recently.

Any ideas?
by bobaab  

gifts 2009/7/24 10:28
Some quick thoughts:

1) Tide pen stain remover (the kind you bring with you on the go, my friend said Japan doesn't have these)

Seems like an odd gift

2) Chocolate covered pretzels from Trader Joe's (they are really, really good!)

Great idea. Food always goes over well, especially regional specialties.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/24 11:13
Why not bring something from Chicago? People are there are big baseball fan so how about something from the Cubs or the White Sox? Food is always good too but you have to be careful that they allowed into the country.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

bringing food 2009/7/24 11:36
Food is always good too but you have to be careful that they allowed into the country.

Almost anything is ok except meat, seeds, and fresh fruit/vegetable. I'd recommend chocolate or roasted nuts, etc. I've even had friends bring in Krispy Kreme donuts which were a big hit.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Oh yea... 2009/7/24 11:44
I totally forgot Fukudome is on the Cubs! He's a huge hit here...I wonder what team he was on before he left the MLB.

Maybe some Fukudome goods for the sports fans.

But food seems to be the easiest, cheapest, and very well accepted. But if anyone has some gifts ideas that I haven't realized yet, please speak up! :)
by bobaab rate this post as useful

A regional thought ... 2009/7/26 03:57
How about bringing one of those great old paving bricks (made in Chicago) from the windy city , or perhaps a local micro-brew ... or some sand from the lakefront ...or some thing blues-related ...
by regular fellow (guest) rate this post as useful

windy city gifts 2009/7/27 07:12
I'm from Chicago as well and recently went to Japan. How about one of those smashed penny stamps? Ya know, the ones the have at navy pier or the Museum campus? You can string them up on a necklace and give those out. They're like 51 cents each I think. It maybe cheap but you can't get those anywhere else.:)
White Sox/Cubs paraphernalia is also a good idea especially since Japan is huge on baseball.
by 2rei rate this post as useful

stuff cheap in usa, expensive in japan 2009/7/27 14:58
If they are into clothes and shoes and you know their size, I suggest buy them American clothing brands that are expensive in Japan but you could get at a bargain in usa. That's what I am doing. This is my typical brand list:

babies/small kids: gymboree

girls under 17: limited too (the young version of the limited).

late teen early 20s: hollister, abercrombie

20s, 30s: gap
30s: banana republic

women who I am not sure of their size- lotion from victorias secret.

For the above brands, I have been able to buy tops n bottoms for under $10, even under $5... which is good because the recipients will think that u spent $50 a piece
by Annie (guest) rate this post as useful

t-shirts 2009/7/31 12:38
There are many Gap and Banana Republic shops in Tokyo and other cities. If you're buying clothes, I suggest t-shirts from Univ. of Chicago, or the museum.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread