Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Not drinking all of their tea? 2009/8/1 15:32
I noticed that when I give my Japanese guests some tea, hot or cold, they never finish what I give them. There's always like 1/4 of the cup left behind. Plus they're really slow drinkers.

Is there a cultural reason for this? Maybe leaving some in the cup so I don't offer them any more?
by UreshiiMiko  

no idea 2009/8/2 00:52
I thought tea was supposed to be drunk slowly. But as far as I know, it is polite to drink until the very last drop in the cup.

Maybe leaving some in the cup so I don't offer them any more?

Maybe, especially if you're pouring new tea over the old without asking. But generally speaking, guests take their last sip as they stand up to go.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

a guess 2009/8/24 01:47
My husband is Japanese but raised in Hawaii however, my MIL leaves a little at the bottom b/c of the green tea leaves. I never drink the last sip b/c I dont want the brown rosted rice and green tea leaves to get stuck in my teeth ^_^
by Stace (guest) rate this post as useful

To Stace 2009/8/24 03:52
You should use a little sieve or a tea ball.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Slowness 2009/8/24 16:23
I noticed the slowness with one Japanese friend. ^.^ At the point where it became cold. I think people in the UK in general wouldn't want their tea to get cold, that's why they drink it more quickly probably... ?_?
by Totorina rate this post as useful

Don't worry 2009/8/27 12:55
I'm Japanese girl and high school student.

I think they wanted you to think that they were enjoying talking and they werenft hurry.
If you drink all cup tea soon, Japanese think g he may be thirsty now and he may want more teah or g he may be hurry nowh.
Japanese people tend to spend slowly time with their friend. So, they mean g we were enjoyed tea with relaxing.h

by Nami (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread