Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are clothes looking like this ok to wear? 2009/8/8 04:12
I'll b going to Tokyo and several cities north of Tokyo in late oct or early nov.

I'm from Malaysia, a tropical country so I never wear jackets and long pants. Please excuse me if my questions sound a bit silly.

I've a few jackets and pants bought on my visit to HK 2 years ago. When I tried them today,

All pants still fit except that they are highwaters now, they hit 5 cm above my ankle.

My jackets still fit too except that they are much shorter on me now. When I stand up, they are ok, but when I sit, there is a big crack. The sleeves are a few cm short too.

I'm in my low teens. Is wearing clothing obviously outgrown distasteful in Japan? I would rather not buy new pants and jackets as I'll not have the opportunity to wear them after this trip.
by Azlin (guest)  

... 2009/8/8 09:31
If you have no problem wearing something that you've obviously outgrown, it's not particularly distasteful or anything in Japan. You're just coming for sightseeing, I assume?

But be sure you bring (prepared to buy if needed) some warm clothes - depending on how "north" of Tokyo you are talking about, early November can be pretty cool already.
by AK rate this post as useful

buy a parker and jeans 2009/8/8 11:47
Azlin,

Frankly speaking, for low teens, baggy clothes are in style at the moment. You don't really see people walking around in short sleaves in November, unless (s)he has a big policy about it, and although low teens wearing short _baggy_ pants in autumn is normal, there are days when a pair of jeans are necessary.

Also, are you sure you won't be wearing long pants after the trip? I'm looking at internet photos of Kuala Lumpur and most adult males seem to be wearing long pants, and I recall that was how it was when I visited the country.

If you go to one of the many Uniclo shops in Tokyo, you can buy men's jeans for only 2990 yen and a parker for 1290 yen. If you're not as tall as 150cm, kids' parkers are only 999 yen. There are similar shops such as Muji or teen's jeans shops such as Jeans Mate.

If you travel far, you need to prepare the necessities. It doesn't really have to be a "jacket". It can be a sweat shirt or most teens here in Japan wear parkers with a hood.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

I'm F 2009/8/8 12:58
Sorry for the confusion. I should have stated I'm female. My name does sound ambiguous to non-Malays.

The long pants I'm planning to wear are the ones that have a lining inside them... so they are thicker than normal light weight ones that get worn in KL, Msia. I never wear long pants and long jeans in Msia, only dresses, shorts, skirts. I don't even have a pair of jeans that still fit... I don't like wearing jeans.

I was thinking... if I wear those highwaters and feel cold, I could buy a pair of boots to cover the bottom of my legs? I'm 13, 14 this year and I was told the feet of girls my age only have 0.5cm to grow to adult, 1cm at the most. In that case maybe it's best to buy 24cm boots (I am size 23cm now) so I can keep them for the rest of my life for abroad in the future. With pants, it is really hard to know if they will fit me forever for going abroad.

btw: I'm at least 155cm (I was this height 5 months ago). The autumn/winter clothes I've are size 140-150.
by Azlin (guest) rate this post as useful

yes 2009/8/8 13:35
I will be there for sightseeing.

... 2009/8/8 14:00
Check the weather/temperature information for the cities you will be visiting, then bring whatever long-sleeve shirt/blouse and long pants you have, but be prepared to buy something, yes, as suggested by Uco, some zip-up parka or sweatshirt or sweater, when you get here. A chainstore called UNIQLO suggested has reasonably-priced, practical clothing.

And... well, teens your age can still grow (how much as what age really depends on the person!), so it might be better not to rely on buying something now to last you for good, while I admit it is wise to be careful to choose things you can wear for long-term.
by AK rate this post as useful

wear leggins, then 2009/8/8 14:55
Azlin,

I had assumed you can be a female, but I meant to give you an option by pointing out a men's price, since you seemed to focus on "pants".

Just wear skirts then! Simple as that. If you're cold, wear tights, leggins or high socks. Tights, leggins and high socks are inexpensive, portable, and since they wear out, you don't have to be so sorry about not using them after your trip.

Anyway, bottoms aren't a problem for low teens. Just get yourself a thick long-sleaved top.

AK,

Thank you for pointing out that it's a "parka". I always had thought it was "parker"!

Jackets and tights 2009/8/8 17:00
The most north I'll go is Sapporo. I checked Sapporo's temperature for late Oct-Early Nov... omg so cold! below 10C! It's hard to imagine as the coldest I have experienced is 15C and I think 15C is very cold.

Wearing skirt with tights or high socks seems like a good option in Tokyo as temperature look like in the high teens. Don't people feel too cold wearing a skirt and tights in Sapporo during that time?

This is the first time I heard about "parka". I looked that up in dictionary and found it's a fur jacket with a hood? I'm unfamiliar with jacket types. Besides parka, what are other autumn jackets? Are sweatshirts, sweaters, coats, pullovers, jumpers, blazers autumn or winter jackets? What is the difference between sweatshirt and sweater? jacket and coat? Sorry if this sounds too straightforward for someone living in a 4 season country. This is really new for me.

Many thanks to AK and Uco, both of you have been really helpful!

Borrow 2009/8/8 18:47
Borrow some clothes from friends and relaties. Over size is better than under sized. Keep in mind that homes are often cold, too. So you will need warm casual, home wear as well.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

photos from the Japanese internet 2009/8/8 21:41
What I meant by "parka";
http://images.google.co.jp/images?q=%E3%83%91%E3%83%BC%...

To me, a "sweater" is roughly knit using wool yarn, and is very warm but usually cannot be washed in the washing machine;
http://images.google.co.jp/images?q=%E3%82%BB%E3%83%BC%...

On the other hand, a "sweatshirt" may not be as warm as most sweaters but can be machine washed;
http://images.google.co.jp/images?q=%E3%83%88%E3%83%AC%...

Frankly, if you're coming from the tropics and going to Hokkaido in autumn, you need a "down jacket" which is a jacket quilted with duch feathers. Needs space, but is very warm and light;
http://images.google.co.jp/images?q=%E3%83%80%E3%82%A6%...

Have you asked on your local Malaysian internet? I wonder what other Malaysians do when they go to Hokkaido. Perhaps they have info on rentals.

As long as you don't mind! 2009/8/13 22:29
I am 19, and there are some clothes I still wear from the time I was 11! Yes, my pants are 10cm short! As long as they still fit on the waist, they still fit right?
by confused guy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread