Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Local food 2009/8/9 15:26
I'll be spending most of my time in or around Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and Tokyo and I'm just wondering what the local specialties are, food-wise. Those dishes I should try at least once and where they're "the best", subjectively speaking.

For example, I've been led to believe that Osaka is best for okonomiyaki and although I might get it elsewhere, I really should try it in Osaka. (Although I believe that Hiroshima also has a delicious variant, just to confuse things).

What is Tokyo's local speciality? Kyoto's? Hiroshimas's? Even Nara's? Disregarding things like yakitori and tonkatsu that seem to be available countrywide.
by mgal  

. 2009/8/10 10:12
In Osaka you really should try Takoyaki, octopus in dough balls. It is really delicious. In Kyoto at Fushimi Inari shrine you should really try the Yakitori. It is actually made out of sparrow not chicken.

You should also try some of the food from other countries too because there is a big selection there in Kansai.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

food 2009/8/10 10:22
For example, I've been led to believe that Osaka is best for okonomiyaki and although I might get it elsewhere, I really should try it in Osaka. (Although I believe that Hiroshima also has a delicious variant, just to confuse things).

Hiroshima's variety has udon noodles mixed in. You should try both types if you get the chance.

What is Tokyo's local speciality?

Try monjayaki (kinda like wet okonomiyaki) on Tsukishima island near Tsukiji and Sushi in Tsukiji.

Kyoto's?

Kaiseki Ryori. Its easy to find on Pontocho or Gion. Other specialties include matcha tea and yatsuhashi mochi.

Hiroshimas's?

Oysters

Even Nara's?

Shika Senbe (just kidding, those are for feeding to the deer)
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Speciality of Nara 2009/8/10 11:49
Kakinohasushi: sushi wrapped in persimmon leaves (Yoshino area)
Miwa-somen: thin noodles (like cappelini) made of wheat
Narazuke: pickle
Various sweets made from "kuzu" (special starch from plant called "kuzu")
by magonote rate this post as useful

Food 2009/8/11 23:11
Definately try the okonomiyaki in both Osaka and Hiroshima. It is very different. My wife is from Osaka and makes good homemade okonomiyaki but I actually like the Hiroshima version better. Please dont tell her! : )
The takoyaki in Osaka is very good as well. So is the taiyaki, it is easier to find it in winter time.
If you go south of Hiroshima across the inland sea along the way to Shikoku, the small islands along the way specialize in tako dishes. We stopped in Sedota and had great tako with rice. All the little stores had tako products as well as great satsuma oranges in season.
by cf (guest) rate this post as useful

Food, glorious food 2009/8/12 03:08
Thanks, all, some stuff to get started on there. I was checking out gnavi and sunnypages trying to get an idea of the best place to go for certain food myself (city-wise, rather than specific restaurants), but there's too much dang choice, I think I'll just stick with Mickey D's :P
by mgal rate this post as useful

Try Kaiseki in Kyoto and use engmenu.com 2009/8/12 16:58
You can't walk away from Kyoto without trying kaiseki. Try Kinmata or Kikusui. And Forget about gnavi. Try www.engmenu.com for restaurants in Kansai with English menus.
by rrr (guest) rate this post as useful

engmenu 2009/8/12 22:15
Nice site, must take a look around. I'll probably skip kaseiki to be honest, I've not budgetted time or money for it, and reading about it in Sushi and Beyond doesn't make it sound like it'd be something I'd be in to (I can't stand fish)

typo 2009/8/12 22:16
kaiseki not kaseiki

reply to this thread