Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Clothes for autumn in Tokyo? 2009/8/17 20:05
Hi everyone!

I'll be staying in my mom's friends house in Tokyo for a few weeks this autumn. My mom's friend is in her late 40s, but always keeps up to date with fashion. I want to make sure I dress fashionably enough around her. I don't wanna pale relative to her daughter. This is what I planned so far:

Outfit 1:
-red turtleneck long sleeve shirt
-red & white plaid skirt
-knee length socks

Outfit 2:
-pink turtleneck long sleeve shirt
-pink & brown plaid skirt
-pink leggings

A white down vest to go with outfit 1 & 2.

Outfit 3:
-animal print long sleeve shirt
-blue skinny jeans
-yellow peacoat

Outfit 4:
-white graphic short sleeve shirt
-purple pants
-pink sweatshirt

I know these are not enough. Any suggestions on what is currently fashionable for a 22 yr old to wear? Will be grateful for any suggestions and opinions. Thanks!
by Selina (guest)  

too much detail 2009/8/18 09:03
Honestly, you are overthinking this. Wear what you are comfortable with, it is your personality and behaviour that will leave the greatest impression.

Japanese fashion is often quite different to what people wear in other countries, so look around once you get here and go shopping if you want to.

Also, you need to think about the weather- when in autumn will you come? It stays quite warm here through most of autumn- my down vest wouldn't come out until late November at the earliest.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Add accessories 2009/8/18 18:19
Adding accessories is a great way to complete your outfits... whether it be belts, bracelets, necklaces, hair accessories.

If you are coming in Oct, cropped jackets and short sleeve jackets are flattering and serve the purpose. It's often still warm enough to wear shorts.

I am working on my autumn wardrobe too! I am trying to have enough outfits for 14 days without repeat.

by pear shaped (guest) rate this post as useful

Too Colorful 2009/8/19 14:11
Starting autumn, everything goes black with knee high boots. Last year it was kind of flat boots, but the previous year it was high heel boots. Consult Samantha Thavasa for fashion ideas.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

? 2009/8/20 22:57
Thanks all!

I will be there mid oct to mid nov.

I will def add accessories to my outfits.

I am thinking about wearing my knee boots too. For clothing, I dislike black, navy, grey so I won't be wearing them.

by Selina (guest) rate this post as useful

sitting on the floor 2009/8/21 08:33
Mid-October- far too warm for a down vest still.

If your skirts are quite short, bear in mind that you might be sitting on the floor more than you are used to, and you are pretty much restricted to kneeling if wearing a short-skirt as sitting cross-legged is out, and it can be hard for many people to kneel more than a few minutes. Make sure you can sit on the floor in the skirts you are planning to wear without being too awkward.

The above is right- bright pink, red etc, are seen more on girls in their early teens here, women in their 20s tend to go for more muted colours.

Really, though, wear what you are comfortable with.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks for the heads up Sira! 2009/8/21 10:37
Sira, thanks for the heads up!

One of my skirts is a mini, the other hits just above my knee. I have no problem with kneeling for half hour or so.

About those people you mentioned that couldn't kneel more than a few minutes, are you referring to middle aged and older?
by Selina (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread