Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gifts for Japanese families 2009/9/28 13:39
Hello,
I will be visiting a Japanese family during my visit to japan in Dec.
May I ask what are some suitable gifts recommended?
Thanks.
by starlight (guest)  

Exchanging Gifts is a big thing in Japan 2009/9/28 19:26
Exchanging Gifts is a big thing in Japan, so your question is very appropriate.
A good idea would be to bring something representing your home country, something unique to the area you come from.

The Japanese themselves usually give expensive fruit, Alcohol and ...furry Teddy bears!!(they like everything cute).
See more on Japans culture and 10 common mistakes westerners do in Japan, here -
http://www.tokyo-top-guide.com/Culture_Of_Japan.html

If you're doing business in Japan, bring corporate gifts. My advice - bring many gifts because the Japanese always do team work , so you will be meeting with more people than you expect.
See more abote The Japanese Business etiquette here -
http://www.tokyo-top-guide.com/Japanese_Business_Etiquette.html

by TokyoTopGuide (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/28 19:50
We (meaning we Japanese) don't give out expensive fruits or expensive alcohol just for visiting someone - it still might hold true for the customary gift-giving seasons, among corporate clients/partners or between families that have long history together.

So don't worry about gifts so much - if you know the family members well and can choose something that would suit them individually, that would be nice, but if not, simply bringing some foodstuffs from your country/unique to your country as a token would be fine.
by AK rate this post as useful

--- 2009/9/28 19:57
Thanks TokyoTopGuide and AK.

Hi AK,
I know this Japanese family for close to 10 years. Mylast visit was in year 2001 and I stayed overnight in his house. I hope to bring something to his family from my country but worry that it may not be nice or suitable as a gift.
Would giving some cash placed in an envelope as a gift a no-no?
Thanks.
by starlight (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/28 21:18
starlight,

I must say no to that. Gift of money is given only on limited occasions - such as Japanese style weddings (where you are invited to attend the full banquet) or at funerals, as contribution to the cost they incur, in a way. So, for visiting a family you know, it's a no-no.

Of course, if "the two of you" have agreed in advance to pay for your stay, that is another story. But that kind of arrangement might be unusual unless you are young college students and trying to split the apartment bill or something like that... your friend is going to decline that, I'm sure... and that's not "gift" anyway, right?

What kind of things are you thinking of anyway, and where are you from? :) If you think of your acquaintance and what he/they might like, I'm sure you will come up with something nice - we don't know your friends, but you do :)

--- 2009/9/29 08:20
HI AK,
I admit giving cash is a lazy but convenient method for me.
I am from Singapore. My Japanese friend is likely to invite my family for a meal and possibly stay overnight at his house again. I would have saved a night of accommodation in Tokyo which can be quite expensive. The most important is the willingness to meet my family despite disrupting his family routine schedule.
I will only be meeting him when I am about to return home and thus unlikely to bring bulky gifts along.
I also can't buy gifts from other parts of Japan too.
Ok, I noted that giving cash is a no-no.
Thanks so much for these tips.

Sharing with every1 2009/9/30 03:17
My daughter said on her visit to Japan she would offer a box of chocolate or a box of 'Japanese manju'
by EichoKago rate this post as useful

Are most Japanese size 0? 2009/9/30 21:07
I am thinking of buying clothing. Do size 0 and XS fit most Japanese?
by Ashley (guest) rate this post as useful

clothing 2009/10/1 10:59
Unless you are sure that you know the style, tastes, and size of the person you are giving the gift to, then I would say that clothes is always a dangerous options when choosing a gift. Food, and regional items are far safer.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

--- 2009/10/1 11:28
Unless I can find something very unique from my country, Singapore, I would have to give a box of chocolate.
I think I am "under" giving since the family has invited me to stay overnight and possible a home-cooked dinner.

... 2009/10/1 11:48
starlight,

Just to give you some ideas hopefully, when I went to Singapore (I am a rather frequent business traveler), those are the things I bought back from there as gifts (for myself, friends, and family):

Tho's Raffles chocolates (I know those are fresh so they won't keep long, though), some fancy chocolate boxes from duty free shop, Jim Thompson's shirt/bag (I know those are originally not from Singapore, but you have more variety of merchandise available than Japan; also scarves and small bags are nice), and "RISIS" design key chain (I believe this is originally Singapore).

--- 2009/10/1 11:58
Hi AK,
Thanks for sharing.
I am thinking of getting the merlion chocolates. As for other things, I have to be extremely careful as I can easily get many things made from China, Malaysia and even Japan!

RE: Gifts for Japanese families 2009/10/11 06:06
I'd recommend taking something thats typical of where you're from, either the country or even better the region. Something that wouldn't usually be available to them.

When people from my martial arts club go to Japan to visit the sensei there we're recommended to take gifts, it doesn't need to be anything expencive, English tea, chocolates, a local drink etc.
by Kafeen (guest) rate this post as useful

--- 2009/12/10 19:05
My Japanese friend is a male. He is married with 2 kids. When I present the gifts, do I give to him or his wife? Or do I ask my husband to give to him or his wife?
Thanks.

reply to this thread