Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Most important/unusual etiquette 2009/9/29 11:58
I have been reading on this site and other sites about Japanese etiquette. It is very helpful =)

I am just wondering what you think the most important/vital etiquette is you have learned so far or what is the most unusual etiquette you have learned that is important, but not very focused on

Just asking for opinions =)
by Kiki (guest)  

giving gifts 2009/9/30 14:46
When you are giving a gift to someone, you would say something to the effect of "tsumaranai mono desukeredomo" meaning "this gift is very boring but" or "okuchini awanai kamoshi shirimasen keredomo" meaning "it may not suit your taste buds basically saying it might not taste good".

Being brought up in North America and hearing my Japanese mom say this I often asked her when I was young why you would give something that tasted bad or was boring to your friend as a gift? She'd reply....you just say that as a formality and they know that you aren't intentionally giving them something bad.

Sorry not sure if this is the sort of example you were looking for.
by beachlover (guest) rate this post as useful

interpretations 2009/9/30 19:07
Beachlover,

Those are incorrect interpretations.

"tsumaranai mono desukeredomo" means
"this is too humble a gift (compared to your greatness) but"

"okuchini awanai kamoshi shirimasen keredomo" means

"it may not suit your taste"
basically saying
"it might not taste good to you, because I don't know about your preferences, but it tastes good to me and that is why I chose this"
basically saying
"I thought you MIGHT like it (and it might not, but I hope it would)"
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Differences in dialect 2009/9/30 20:11
Unknown to those are and those are not a Japanese national Japan have many dialects you will have not heard and when you hear them you will not comprehend. Further more one region of Japan may say a word and/or a sentence that is not a main stream dialect. For example can you interpret these phrase to English, "nanda omayeniwa kankainaiyo. damaute irou"
by EichoKago rate this post as useful

Another itnerpretation 2009/9/30 20:54
''nanda omayeniwa kankainaiyo. damaute irou''

Well, that to me sounds like nothing else than a foreign resident trying to say ''nanda, omaeniwa kankeineiyo. damatte ro.''

So much for interpretations. I'm outta this thread.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/1 00:23
EichoKago,

So can you please post what that means in standard Japanese? I must admit some dialects do sound like a foreign language to me.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you beachlover =) 2009/10/1 03:31
Yes, I read that even when giving a very expensive and amazing gift you still say that, hehe.

What kind of gifts are usually given? And to who? Coworkers? New friends?
by Kiki (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/1 03:51
It depends on the occasions, whom you give it to and your age, very much like you do in your country. One thing that comes to my mind immidiately that you should NOT give as a wedding gift are fragile things (vase, china, etc.) and things in even numbers, which implay a separation.

Hmmmmmmm 2009/10/1 07:06
Ikuyo Kuruyo

The poster of this thread requested a sample of etiquette to help her become more prepared.

'Beachlover' was willing and he wrote few examples Japanese phrases that he was very familiar with (used by his Mother). But, then another helpful person posted and claimed, Beachlover's interpretations was incorrect. Which is same as saying "your Mother can't speak the proper Japanese".

Her 'public' and a directed words 'Those are incorrect interpretation' compelled me to 'put my foot down' as an elder Japanese because no one should openly embarrass or demean another person, specifically a person that is trying to help another person, and because of it I had to remind Uco and others that there is a different dialects in Japan (as well in many countries) and not all Japanese can comprehend those dialects, and I also added a punch-line phrase in Japanese that majority have heard but with a slight variation when word was spelled (line your Username, Ikuyo Kuruyo, can be spelled as 'Ikuno Kuruno'), which Uco respelled them.

And the original poster quickly caught onto my message "Thank you beachlover", and, now you have inquired. So, simply, those words are used to remind a person about their manner need to be CHECKED but is used to let another know 'that is not your business, so, be quiet or shut up'. And, this particular phrase should not be (NEVER) used by those are a GUEST in Japan due to their roughly phrased wordings.

... 2009/10/1 09:03
EichoKago,
I'm sorry to say that Uco's interpretation of the phrases originally given by Beachlover was correct, or more correct than what he originally posted. "tsumaranai" in this case does mean "humble," rather than "boring."
But I did not take Uco's comments as saying that Beachlover's mother could not speak Japanese, or that she openly embarrassed him - if you look up the words "tsumaranai" in a dictionary, well, yes, that is the definition you get, which I assumed maybe he did when he heard those words used by his mother some time ago :)
So... I took it that Uco helped Beachlover there - and it was rude of you to say shut up, I think.
In addiiton, "Ikuyo Kuruyo" is a well known TV personality's name, so it should not be spelled Ikuno Kuruno.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/1 09:47
People here are trying to help other people, and I answered the OP's question. I am not sure why you are so upset at us.

I think Uco is a smart lady. I am outta this thread following her.

P.S. My name must be Ikuyo Kuruyo. Because I love those ladies.

Courtesy message 2009/10/1 09:54
Funny, did I misread the original thread? Did it not ask for 'Most important/unusual etiquette?' And aren't we by continuing to debate about what is correct or incorrect DENYING the original poster the information she is asking???? Is it that important to be correct? No!!!! It's not that important at all.

... 2009/10/1 10:00
EichoKago,
All I am saying that you insulted Uco (and owe her an apology - but she's outta this thread anyway) by responding in that roundabout way about how she should shut up.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

not incorrect 2009/10/1 11:20
EchigoKago,

'Beachlover' was willing and he wrote few examples Japanese phrases that he was very familiar with (used by his Mother). But, then another helpful person posted and claimed, Beachlover's interpretations was incorrect. Which is same as saying "your Mother can't speak the proper Japanese".

I'm afraid you are complete wrong in your interpretation of Uco's correction. Beachlover, was saying what he THOUGHT his mother was saying based on a literal translation. Uco was informing him of the correct idiomatic usage of the phrases.

Her 'public' and a directed words 'Those are incorrect interpretation' compelled me to 'put my foot down' as an elder Japanese because no one should openly embarrass or demean another person

I'm sorry, but this was unnecessary and improper internet etiquette, and could be interpreted as "flaming". Please be careful as your own misinterpretation has caused an unnecessary debate that could easily devolve into a flamewar.

And the original poster quickly caught onto my message "Thank you beachlover", and, now you have inquired.

Actually, it was more to divert the conversation back to her original question as it is highly unlikely that the OP speaks Japanese and would have picked up on your "joke".

So, simply, those words are used to remind a person about their manner need to be CHECKED but is used to let another know 'that is not your business, so, be quiet or shut up'.

Completely inappropriate. Be careful, you are on dangerous ground here, and consider yourself warned.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

original question 2009/10/1 11:20
Anyway, lets get back to the original question.

A common, and sometime humorous, faux paux is to forget to remove toilet slippers when leaving a restroom.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread