Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

can i use my cellphone in Japan? 2009/10/20 13:05
hi,

Can someone advise if i can use my Nokia 6280 cell phone in Japan.

I think its 3G, with the following
Dual mode WCDMA 2100 and GSM Tri-band 900/1800/1900.

I was hoping i can use my cellphone in Japan and buy their sim card there.

thanks
by Lana (guest)  

... 2009/10/20 17:26
can't buy SIM cards......will need roaming
by fmj rate this post as useful

.. 2009/10/20 17:32
UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
If its got this it will work on roaming

... 2009/10/20 18:03
hi,

Sorry, I'm not really good with tech terms but I checked my phone specs & it says below..

"# EDGE: Mobile broadband access with upload up to 118.4 kbps and download up to 236.8 kbps"

"Fast WCDMA and EDGE connections for broadband-speed browsing plus tri-band GSM phone with global roaming capability".

so I guess i can use my phone..? If yes, then would i just need to purchase a calling card? or? I will just need to make minimal phone calls within Japan when I get there (probably just need less than 90min of calling time).

Many thanks.
by Lana (guest) rate this post as useful

sim 2009/10/20 18:31
can't buy SIM cards......will need roaming

Softbank reportedly sells prepaid SIM cards.

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+64845
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+51551
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+66804

Lana,

Provided your phone is unlocked, then it MAY be possible for your phone to work in Japan. Try calling your carrier and ask if your phone model can roam in Japan. And if your phone isn't unlocked you will need to figure out how to do that.

However I would advise just getting a rental phone as the cost difference will not be significantly different if you plan on making about 90 mins worth of calls. Rental phones are relatively cheap and the calling rates are the same as with prepaid sim cards.

Here's a list of rental companies available at Narita Airport:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_19.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

thank-you all for the help! 2009/10/21 16:40
thanks everyone!

My phone is unlocked. I'll check out the rental phones as well. Thanks for the info!
by Lana (guest) rate this post as useful

sorry! 2009/10/22 05:52
not available for foreign tourists (Certificate of Alien Registration is required).

Sorry: I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that OP was a tourist....

sim 2009/10/22 10:23
fmj,

not available for foreign tourists (Certificate of Alien Registration is required).

Sorry: I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that OP was a tourist....

I'm pretty sure that the op is a tourist, however that doesn't really change the situation. As it turns out, the practice of requiring alien registration to get prepaid service is not a law, but a stricter requirement by the phone carriers. Whether or not it will be required depends on what specific outlet you visit, with softbank stores in Shibuya and Roppongi confirmed to only require a passport and hotel address. I am not positive it this applies to prepaid SIM cards at this outlet as I've only heard of those being available at Narita, and in that case I'm not sure the resident status of the person who reported getting one. Either way, its probably best for the OP to rent anyway.

thanks 2009/10/22 11:37
Thanks yllwsmrf: we have tried at a few softbank outlets with no success, and weren't able to buy a sim card at Narita airport either: only rental available:
fortunately we'd brought our laptop for photos download and Skype for family in Europe and the USA, so ended up Skyping home as well..worked well, and immediate Aussie family used sms if urgent, at times when we weren't in our hotel room.
(not that I call a 20 year old asking where to put the soap in the washing machine urgent...was to him...)
Only roaming costs were contacting family in Japan: not all could receive our texts: pretty minor though, considering.
Cheers!!

cellphone 2009/10/22 11:46
no problem! Yea, if you will not be using you phone to contact people in Japan then roaming on your existing plan may be best. And, definitely use skype for calls home as international calls on a rental phone are not much better than roaming rates. Also, there aren't too many advantages for using your own phone in Japan that I can think of. The only significant thing being that in the situation that you lose or break your phone then you buy yourself a new phone rather than buy the rental company a new phone.

reply to this thread