Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can we wear a kimono during autumn? 2009/10/21 01:07
I'll have a trip to Kansai area during 21-29 Nov and stay in Kyoto city during 22-26 Nov

And I found that there is a kimono rental shop, and intersting in it.

But I have questions
'' Does Japanese people wear Kimono in autumn??
Does it normal and does it warm enough to stay in 15-5 Cencius??''

by bright (guest)  

. 2009/10/21 12:05
Yes to both questions.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

of course. 2009/10/21 13:13
yes, kimono can be worn all year round, though japanese people tend to only wear them for special occasions. It is popular for foreigners to try them in japan though, so you wont be seen as anything other than a tourist dressing up, its nothing strange.

They type of material of the kimono worn changes with the seasons, so of course it will ba a thicker kimono than the yukata that is popluar in summer. You can also wear them with a Haori coat and scarf or shawl.

When choosing the kimono try to go with an in season pattern. You shouldnt have a problem finding a design that you like, in fact Autumn motifs are my favourite on Kimono, http://images.google.co.jp/images?hl=ja&lr=&um=1&q=%E3%82%82%E3%81%BF%...

May I ask what you intend to do in Kimono? is it just to try on? I would imagine it would be too troublesome trying to go shopping in kimono, but it would be lovely to visit a temple or teahouse in kimono, you would really look the part!
by shi. (guest) rate this post as useful

Japanese traditional costume 2009/10/21 13:45
Bright,

I hope you know that "kimono" is traditional Japanese clothes, so of course they can be worn all year round. But there are different kimono for each season, so that people won't be too cold or too hot.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/10/21 21:36
Thanks for all of you, I intend to wear it in the day I spend most time in temple maybe Kiyomisudera and Ginkakuji and Philosopher path
by bright (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/10/23 01:38

Of course kimono are lovely, but if it were me, and I were spending a day sight-seeing, I'd wear more comfortable western clothes. I don't mind kimono (have been stuffed into them by my Japanese friends from time to time) but an entire day in one would drive me crazy. two things: (a) using the toilet and (b) walking around in geta all day - more than enough nuisance for me.
by Spendthrift (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread