Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese host family coming to visit 2009/10/31 09:57
2 years ago I studied abroad in Japan and lived with the most amazing host family, they have two young kids and I really got involved with the everyday life of the family. Now they are planning a trip to America, to the city where I live. They are planning on coming here for about a week during the Japanese New Year Holiday because the father of the family has time off. I know a bit about Japanese culture and I understand that I owe them quite a bit.I thought that maybe I should invite them (a family of 4) to stay at my home. However I am just out of college and living with my parents and while there would probably be enough room for them I don't want to put my own parents out. What I'm wondering is, would it be very rude of me not to invite them to stay with my family rather than in a hotel?
I am incredibly grateful for their kindness when I lived with them but they did receive compensation from the organization I studied abroad with. And I would plan on taking the week off that they visit to take them sightseeing, out to dinner, etc since you really can't get around here except by car. Is this enough? Please let me know your opinions. Thank you!
by Greta (guest)  

... 2009/10/31 15:13
would it be very rude of me not to invite them to stay with my family rather than in a hotel?
Not at all. You should not be putting your own parents to accommodate another family :) Having a whole family staying over is completely different from hosting one student!

And I would plan on taking the week off that they visit to take them sightseeing, out to dinner, etc
I feel that that is plenty you are doing for them :) Maybe, if your parents agree to, invite them over to your house for a dinner together (if space around the dinner table)?
by AK rate this post as useful

what's ok and not ok 2009/10/31 15:39
Most definately ok not to have them actually stay with your parents. But most definately NOT ok not to at least introduce your parents to them.
by Billyboy24 (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks! 2009/11/1 04:17
Thank you both that is very helpful! :)
by Greta (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread