Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Crocs in japan 2009/11/2 19:36
So we're travelling japan in mid-late november this year and spanning from tokyo to beppu. I've been struggling to thing of which footwear I want to travel in, as I want something that is easy to slip off and comfortable to walk whole days in.

Unfortunately the only shoes I own that I can think of are my crocs. I bought them to wear on the beach but never want to wear them in a city for fear of being gawked at.

I wanted to know what people think of crocs in Japan. I know that I will stand out as a tourist anyways. Do people still wear them in Japan or is it considered distasteful?

I know people may say 'Wear what you want' but I am concious of how I dress.

If anyone can give me any advice I would greatly appreciate it!
by lauren (guest)  

Crocs 2009/11/3 10:06
Lauren,

There is a not insignificant percentage of the population in Japan that seems to believe that Crocs are the pinnacle of shoe fashion, so you certainly won't stand out or be gawked at for wearing them.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

No problem 2009/11/3 11:27
As Dave says plenty of locals wear crocs on a day-to-day basis, in a crazy range of colours. Where I work, most people use a pair as their indoor shoes. It is also seems to be entirely appropriate for adults to have the stick on decorations on them as well.

However, there are a lot of signs about banning people from using escalators whilst wearing crocs for safety reasons, but these seem generally to be ignored.
by Lady Kodaira (guest) rate this post as useful

Looks okay, but too cold? 2009/11/3 12:08
Wouldn't crocs be too cold in mid-late november? At least for me they are.
by Uco, getting old (guest) rate this post as useful

crocs in autumn? 2009/11/3 12:31
I agree with Uco. For me, the weather this season is much colder than the previous years. I would suggest you wear rubber shoes instead.

Back to crocs, no one will gawk at you for wearing them. I have even seen a man wearing pink crocs here.
by myst (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/11/3 13:04
I don't own Crocs and am not sure how warm they are, but if you have woolly ones it seems okay for November in central to southern Japan. But I would bring a pair of regular shoes as well just in case.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Weather 2009/11/3 14:04
I'm not too concerned about having cold feet, I wear thongs (flip-flops) in Melbourne in winter and it looks like that's the same temperature as Japan in November (as I understand).

Thanks for all the responses.

PS - business men with PINK crocs?! That's pretty weird :)
by Lauren (guest) rate this post as useful

crocs are good 2009/11/5 11:03
Crocs are fine.

My professor is full-blooded Japanese; born and raised in Kyoto, Japan. He led my class' study abroad for 2 months in Kyoto, Osaka, and Hiroshima. Everyday of the week he wore crocs, even when we climbed Fushimi Inari Shrine in Kyoto, a 2.5 mile climb up a stone staircase carved in the side of a mountain.
by bergeron rate this post as useful

crocs rock! 2009/11/5 22:35
I wore my Crocs every day in Japan in April. I think there was only one wet day when they were not so great....all the little holes let in the water. I just carried spare socks (aaarrrggghhh Crocs'n'socks!) Black Crocs & black socks don't look too bad.

Actually my Crocs saved my life as my feet swelled on the plane and didn't go down the whole 4 weeks I was away. I couldn't get my feet in any other shoes. I was able to walk between 5 & 7 km most days.

As long as your Crocs aren't a really loud colour & will co-ordinate with your clothes you'll be fine...even the co-ordination won't be a problem.

I've just ordered some "Bistro" Crocs - closed in for chefs etc ready for my next trip.
by Tom O'Dachi (guest) rate this post as useful

off topic but... 2009/11/6 07:52
Tom, if you have swelling in your feet after a flight that doesn't go away, you should probably see a doctor as that can be a symptom of economy-class syndrome, i.e. deep vein thrombosis. Any swelling from immobility during a flight should normally be gone in about 48 hours at the latest.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Crocs 2009/11/6 21:53
I live in Australia and I can tell you Winter in Japan in much colder than Winter in Melbourne.
by Coasttraveller (guest) rate this post as useful

re: coasttravller 2009/11/7 07:12
I understand the winters are different, but we're going in November, which I think is pretty comparable to winter in Melbourne.

weather 2009/11/7 09:01
Yes, that's probably quite a fair comparison. Perhaps even warmer.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/11/7 11:44
Thanks everyone for your responses! We're heading off in two days and I've decided to take th crocs and a pair of boots in case it rains or I go somewhere formal.

Thanks everyone!

thanks Sira! 2009/11/10 12:04
Thanks for your concern Sira - it was a combination of medications which caused the problem - happy to say my feet recovered :)

Tom
by Tom O'Dachi (guest) rate this post as useful

rain 2009/11/11 12:33
Just to warn you. It looks like rain most of this week in Tokyo. All day today.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread