Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying a gift for my girlfriend 2009/11/6 05:53
This winter I will visit my girlfriend for the second time in Tokyo. For those who don't know my story see my question: "In love with Japanese woman 7 years older".

Anyway, I am thinking to buy her a really sweet gift. When I visited her this summer we were still just friends so I didn't dare to buy something big for her yet.

By now we have been having a long distance relationship since july and I feel we are doing so good. Therefore I want to buy her something special. I was thinking about a bracelet or a necklace, something in that direction.

My question is this: How is it generally looked at to bring such big gifts? Giving a bracelet or necklace really means something, plus it is going to cost something and my gf and possibly her friends and family are going to know about that. I want to suprise her, not make her feel embarassed.

So, is it okay for me to buy her something like this in this early phase of our relationship? Or should I get her something else?
by Dutchman (guest)  

.. 2009/11/9 06:45
Well, jewellery to women are always one of the best gifts to give so theres no problem in giving this type of gift. You could take her to dinner and then give it to her when it is only you two so that she has the choice to tell her family and friends about the gift if she wishes to plus it she wouldnt feel embarassed because it is only you two.

Well for you to call her as your girlfriend you have the right to spoil her with gifts, but also keep in mind the brand and the price of the gift is very important. As a piece of really expensive or well known jewellery could make her feel burden to return the favour and buy you a gift, also a sense of too fast to be buying really expensive jewellery in the early stages of a relationship. Hope that helps, hope your girlfriend likes whatever you choose to buy her!
by pinkybow rate this post as useful

Cute, practical and premium 2009/11/9 17:05
From what my japanese gf tells me... Cute, practical but premium. Good luck on that one! I can visualize what she is saying from her own taste in jewelry. But it's hard to describe.

From my assessment of what she says the gems can stand out by being a really cute shape and color. And be of a respectable brand that's considered premium, not cheap. But that doesn't mean it has to cost a fortune if you do some homework.

The last poster was right, be careful in brand selection because japanese ladies can be realllly picky. It might be too yesteryear, etc etc. Check into the latest trends there. Any Japanese ladies on line want to give us guys some tips on reasonable, premium brands that are currently in-fashion? I gotta make my next purchase too.

In the end you might strongly consider not going overboard (yet). You can always gauge her response and spoil her continuously. Rather than shock her with an impractical first gift. That would be very damaging but putting pressure in her mind that didn't exist before.
by geralda (guest) rate this post as useful

Don't be cheep 2009/11/10 03:08
When you visit a girl friend in Japan it is important to bring a nice present. When visiting someone in Japan it is a very important custom to bring a present. Also bring presents for her family. Go to the outlet mall and get her a Couch handbag. Bottled goods and cigarettes, if they smoke, are good. Brand names are very important. It is also important to get a good present for her mother, and father. Also bring presents for her brothers and sisters. Keep in mind, if her family does not like you, your relationship will go nowhere. Also keep in mind if you visit them it will cost them a lot to have you there.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

.... 2009/11/13 08:25
I wouldn't go overboard and possibly spoil things. Something nice and personal but not too expensive like a scarf would be good but only if you know her taste. Expensive gifts should be saved for the time you finally have a real (not long distance) relationship.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

thought... 2009/11/14 04:34
you know, I think if you really care about a person then no matter the size of the gift if you give it to her with open heart.
by seitokun rate this post as useful

reply to this thread