Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

American karoke songs in Japan? 2009/12/5 02:54
I will be traveling to Japan & would like ideas for American karoke songs that the locals would recognize.
by Tara (guest)  

Pop 2009/12/5 12:17
Most people would know american pop songs, depends on what you want to sing to be honest.

I haven't encountered a karaoke machine that didn't have a ton of american songs, things like Jason Mraz, Maroon 5, Linkin Park, etc..
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/12/5 12:30
The piano player at a Hostess Bar I went to knew many American songs, old and new. He was amazing!
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

what kind of locals? 2009/12/5 15:08
That's going to depend on the age of "the locals" you are thinking of. Also, where will you be singing this karaoke? There are thousands of songs in English at any karaoke box place- Bon Jovi, Beyonce, Jimi Hendrix, you name it. Also of course songs in English by artists from other English-speaking countries.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

age of "locals" 2009/12/7 10:40
I was thinking of songs that 50-60 year olds might recognize and be able to sing along to.
by Tara (guest) rate this post as useful

Songs 2009/12/7 13:02
Tara,

many "older" Japanese do like the Carpenters, Frank Sinatra or (newer) the Beatles. Can't go wrong with that!

by kulachan rate this post as useful

Bealtles, Carpenters 2009/12/7 14:35
Just as well you gave us the age range! Just like in the US, the songs that people in that range will be familar with and want to sing are going to be totally different than for a group of teenagers.

The above sugegstions are good ones, although I feel that Frank Sinatra might be a bit old. My father is in his 50s and it was his parents' generation that were into Frank Sinatra!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/12/8 14:20
Well, I was surprised how popular american music is here in Japan when I moved here.
I think you hear more american music here than Japanese music. I was a little bit disappointed by that.
I don't know many American songs you cannot find on the Karaoke systems. I could even find some German songs.
And the American songs I sing are most of the time recognized. Even Robbie Williams who is not known very well in the USA is quite popular here.
by CityHunter1981 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread