Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Does "Kaiya" translate to forgiveness? 2004/7/12 03:04
I would like to find the translation of my daughter's name, ''Kaiya'', some have told me that the meaning is ''forgivenss'' but others have told me that forgiveness would be written Kaiyou. I have seen her name written in Chinese Kanji and it is very different from what I have seen for the word forgiveness. Is there anyone that would be able to transalate it for me properly or show me the translation of forgiveness in Kanji?
by Raine  

Kaiya 2004/7/12 10:19
Forgiveness could be "kanyou", but not "kaiya" or "kaiyou" I don't think.
Kaiya could be written in a number of different ways.
If you search the "ENAMDICT" database on Jim Breen's EDICT website, you will find how this can be written when used as names.
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

forgiveness 2004/7/13 06:19
kan'you 寛容
or
kandai 寛大
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

Meaning of Kaiya 2008/8/13 06:54
Yes according to the baby name websites the name Kaiya is Japanese and means forgiveness. This is also my daughters name.
by Iva rate this post as useful

not in ordinary Japanese 2008/8/13 07:35
Even if they say it means forgiveness in that dictionary, the word Kaiya will not be recognised by Japanese people as meaning forgiveness.

Baby name dictionaries do a lot of stretching to come up with definitions that sound nice, but may not necessarily be totally accurate.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/13 22:21
I wouldn't take Japanese Baby name sites too seriously. Often the translations are wrong and in fact many of the names you will find there simply are no names.

A few examples I found:

Mura - village
Leiko - arrogance (There is no L in Japanese. They probably mean Reiko which translates as grateful/ well mannered child, which is quite the opposite.)
Kagami - mirror
Koto - harp
Shika - gentle deer (Actually shika only means deer, don't know where they got the "gentle" from.)
Kado - gateway
Suzuki - bell tree (Suzuki actually is a family name.)

I think even for people who don't speak Japanese it's quite obvious that noone would name their child "arrogance" or "village" etc.
Of course there are also examples of real names on these sites. But I'd always double-check with a Japanese person if you want to give your child a Japanese name.

As far as "Kaiya" is concerned, even though I don't know whether it's even a Japanese word (never heard it, didn't find it in the dictionary) it's possibe to write it in Japanese since the syllables "kai" and "ya" are very common. So it should be no problem to find some kanji with a nice meaning. I'd suggest you look into a Japanese character dictionary that has a section for kanji that are used in names and pick some you like.

by tay rate this post as useful

It's not Japanese 2008/8/14 15:05
Kaiya seems have meaning of "forgiveness"... in considering of some baby's name sites....
BUT it's not a Japanese popular name! At least, not traditional. And no meaning of "forgiveness" in Kaiya. So, it doesn't have its Chinese character. Never. If does, they just put some appropriate ones.
by .... rate this post as useful

reply to this thread