Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Avator at Imax in Yokohama 2010/1/4 22:11
Does anyone know if Avator is playing at the IMAX in Yokohama. Also, do all IMAX theaters in Japan show subtitles? I heard that the subtitles take away from the 3D effect so I was wondering if any of the IMAX theaters didn't have them. How much are tickets to an IMAX movie?

Thanks for your help!
by Goagirl (guest)  

... 2010/1/5 09:00
When you say Yokoyama IMAX, do you mean the one in Kawasaki? That's the only one in Kanagawa prefecture that I could find that says "IMAX" and is showing Avatar right now. It's 2,200 yen.

Non-Japanese movies shown in Japan are either (1) played in the original sound, with Japanese subtitles, or (2) dubbed over in Japanese. You would not want (2), I assume?
by AK rate this post as useful

Whoops 2010/1/5 09:01
...Of course I mean to say "Yokohama"... sorry.
by AK rate this post as useful

According to the IMAX and Avatar websites, the nearest IMAX theater playing Avatar to Yokohama is Kawasaki 109 Cinemas. Subtitled 3D showings are held 3 times a day at 14:20, 17:40, and 21:00 and cost 2200 yen.

I saw Avatar in 3D when I was visiting the US and there were subtitles for the Na'vi characters when they didn't speak English. There was no problem with the 3D effect and the subtitles themselves seemed to float in space a little. Be aware that the subtitled version of the film in Japan will likely subtitle the Na'vi speaking parts into Japanese only.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Another questions about Avatar listing 2010/1/5 13:21
I was able to find the listings for the movie online. I have another question. The site lists the movie as follows:

Avatar IMAX3D [letter] or アバター IMAX3D【字】

Avatar IMAX3D [blow] or アバター IMAX3D【吹】

What does that mean. I get "subtitles" but I don't understand what "letter" and "blow" mean.

I don't know if this link will work, but this is where I found that info online:

http://www.109cinemas.net/kawasaki/schedule/timeSchedule.shtml?date=20...

I used Google translator, but the translation wasn't clear.

Thanks again for anyone that helps!
by goagirl (guest) rate this post as useful

OK....one more question about "XPAND" 2010/1/5 13:29
The site lists something called "XPAND." Has anyone been to one of these theaters? If so, do you recommend watching Avatar in this type of theater. This is what the website say:

3Dシステム “XPAND(エクスパンディ)”
最新デジタル3Dシステムを備えたDLPにて上映。
従来の3Dシステムから大きく研究が進み映像の明るさを損なうことなく、より鮮明で
リアルな映像体験が出来るデジタル3Dシステム“XPAND”。
専用メガネでお楽しみください。
by goagirl (guest) rate this post as useful

Subtitles 2010/1/5 13:37
Goagirl,

"字" is short for "字幕" (subtitled version)
and "吹" is short for "吹き替え" (dubbed version)
"Letter" and "blow" are just hopeless attempts by an online translation machine.

I can't comment on the merits of the "XPAND" version other than to say that the blurb says that it is state-of-the-art 3D, so I think I would go for that version if I had a choice.

by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

xpand vs imax 2010/1/5 14:15
Disregarding the minor subtleties in 3d technology used in each system, what it boils down to is that Xpand is generally shown on a smaller screen than IMAX. Either will give a similar 3d experience, but the difference has to do with aspect ratio. Since Avatar was shot for IMAX it would be best viewed in IMAX.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread