Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

40th Birthday Dinner in Tokyo 2010/1/11 09:15
I'm going to be in Japan for my 40th Birthday (17 April 2010) and we would like to choose a reserve a very nice restaurant to celebrate in.

There are three people (my Husband, my Niece and myself).

The only thing I still don't particularly like is most sushi.

I do like to try new foods, like sashimi and love sake :)

This is our third month-long trip to Japan, but this would be the first time we seek out a suitably "flash" restaurant in Tokyo itself.

For our honeymoon, we started in Tokyo and ended in Kyoto, where we had the best meal of our lives at Kushya.

I'd love a similar experience.

Thank you in advance.
Natalie
by pixelkitty  

Michelin 3 star restaurants 2010/1/14 11:51
I think that most people would agree that you'll surely enjoy a fine dining experience at any of the restaurants accorded three stars by the Michelin guide. Unfortunately, not having been to any of them I cant make any personal recommendations. 11 restaurants in Tokyo currently have a three star rating, and Im sure each one will set you back more than a few yen. Itd probably be best to make reservations early.

Ishikawa
Joël Robuchon
Kanda
Koju
L'Osier
Quintessence
Sukiyabashi Jiro Honten
Sushi Mizutani
Sushi Saito
Yukimura
by Terminator2 rate this post as useful

Just curious 2010/1/14 17:43
Pixelkitty,

I'm just curious. How could you not like sushi but are willing to try sashimi which is basically the topping of the sushi? Are you having problems with the vinegrated rice?
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Sushi Rice = blerg 2010/1/14 21:10
Yes, it's the rice that puts me off.

Tried it at several different places, and really it's not worth it to scrape off the toppings :)
by pixelkitty rate this post as useful

... 2010/1/14 21:44
Have you ever been to Jojoen?

Many consider it to be the pinnacle of "yakiniku" (usually known as Korean BBQ in the USA).

Everything about the food is as close to perfect as you can ask for from this type of restaurant.

It's expensive by yakiniku standards ($80-100/person) but IMO it's worth it.

Jojoen is one of the few semi-luxury dining experiences where I've felt the meal justifies the price and the hype.

If you want to take it a step further, try Rangetsu in Ginza:
http://www.ginza-rangetsu.com/
(English page available)

There aren't many places where an "omakase" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omakase) experience will live up to the expectations, anticipation, or the bill, but IMO this does not disappoint.

The key is to go for dinner, not lunch during which you are served yesterdays's leftovers.

At Rangetsu was the first time I experienced grilled kuro wagyu (A5 black beef- rated best in the world) topped with fresh sea urchin (uni).

One of the most amazing food experiences in the world.

For Kyoto, one of the best dining experiences there is a place called Nomura Sansou (http://www.nomura-sansou.com/).

The use a brand of chicken called Nagoya Cohin, widely considered to be the best chicken Japan.

Unbelievable meal.
It's reservations only and you can only get there by car/taxi but definitely a unique experience.

I remember the price being around $300/person for a overnight stay but for dinner only it's probably around $150/person.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Thank you 2010/1/15 12:37
Pixelkitty wrote;
"Yes, it's the rice that puts me off."

Thanks for the feedback. I just thought it was interesting, because a lot of people around the world eat rice salad with vinegar dressing. Anyway, bon appetite whatever you eat!

by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread