Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sushi etiquette 2010/1/15 18:02
I have been wondering...

Is it weird or rude if i remove the salmon and then subsequently replace it after adding more wasabi to the rice between them.
Then I eat them with a dip of shoyu without the wasabi.
by Woonz  

... 2010/1/15 18:45
In "proper" sushi restaurants, removing the fish fillet is bad manners to the chef, I've been told, because the chef just put it together into the ideal shape, and I just take it apart? lol But with "conveyor belt" type of sushi restaurants, I suppose it's OK.

I don't quite understand exactly what you want do (you want more wasabi or you want it without it?), but if it's at a "proper" restaurant and if you want more/less wasabi, I guess you could ask the chef.
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2010/1/15 19:19
Typically, if you want to add more wasabi to your sushi, you take some wasabi and mix it with your soy sauce.

It's messy and inefficient if you are applying extra wasabi to each piece of sushi.

BTW, if you order something that comes with grated (not the sliced) ginger like raw liver, beef, horse and some fishes, you place the desired amount of ginger directly on the sushi, not in the soy.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Depends... 2010/1/15 21:29
Woonz,

As others have said, it's not good etiquette at expensive restaurants, but it's standard practice at cheap chains like Kurazushi where you have to add the wasabi yourself.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/1/15 23:54
If you like more "wasabi", you should ask the chef, though there is no guarantee he would compromise. Please remember "wasabi" is meant to be used little just to give a kick. If you prefer oh-my-mouth-is-on-fire type, you should just go to "kaiten zushi" where the etiquets are relaxed. Removing a fish piece from rice looks more like building a volcano with mashed potatoes and gravy to me...
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

=0 2010/1/18 20:58
Woahh.. Thank God I have not gone to a "proper restaurant" yet.

Thanks man, I have my doubt cleared.
I will keep that in mind next time.
by Woonz rate this post as useful

Sushi Bar Etiquette 2010/1/21 18:53
You really need to watch the Sushi Bar Etiquette video on Youtube. It will explain everything for you ;)

Go to the link below or search "Sushi Bar Etiquette" on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAJeUONc3b0

Enjoy :)
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Oh 2010/1/21 19:21
I know this video to be a hilarious one - quite enjoyable to those who are familiar with the "real" etiquette :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread