Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

English speak geishas? 2010/2/5 00:06
Hi

I was wondering if there were English speaking Japanese geishas around?
If so, where can I find them?
by Deyveed  

. 2010/2/5 14:53
I met one in Gion. She wasn't fluent though, but nice.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Asakusa 2010/2/5 18:48
A couple of years ago, I read about a new geisha that had graduated from UCLA. I think she's Japanese-American.
by Jou (guest) rate this post as useful

Not easy 2010/2/5 18:50
Geisha are not people who you can easily just meet, unless you are lucky enough to run into one who is on her way to an appointment in Gion for example. In that case most geisha do not appreciate being stopped as they are busy. To actually spend time with a geisha you need to have connections, as it doesn't come cheap, and only people who are established members of that kind of society and their guests can make appointments.

If you see women who look like geisha out in parks in Kyoto for example, they are likely to be just girls who have dressed up as geisha/maiko for fun- lots of studios in Kyoto do this.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

aww 2010/2/7 03:25
Aww what a shame.

It'd be good thought if there were cheaper, english speaking geishas so that foreigners could appreciate their company.

by Deyveed rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/7 03:38
I disagree. Making geisha an inexpensive tourist attraction would undermine their century old tradition of being the most exclusive hostesses. For cheaper entertainment, there are regular hostess bars and "snack bars".

But there are a few geisha dance performances for tourists that are relatively cheap.
by Uji rate this post as useful

I agree 2010/2/7 07:26
I totally agree with Uji. Why would you travel all the way to Japan for a cheap imitation? Therefs plenty of gcheesyh things for the tourists already.
by Daz88 rate this post as useful

. 2010/2/7 11:02
Just find some of the fake dressed up as Geisha tourists and ask them to lunch. ;)
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

true 2010/2/7 16:21
Thats true. Geishas wouldn't be geishas as we know if it were any other way.
by Deyveed rate this post as useful

Also agree with Uji 2010/2/8 20:02
Did also want to mention geishas aren't only found in Gion, but there's an area of Kagurazaka in Tokyo that you can find some as well. If you don't see any there, at least you can dine at some of Tokyo's best foreign restaurants. :)
by MN (guest) rate this post as useful

Kagurazaka 2010/2/8 22:30
I work in an office in Kagurazaka several times a month, and in the 2 years I have been working there I have not once seen a geisha, so it seems that sightings are pretty rare.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread