Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sending things to Penpal in Japan 2010/3/22 00:52
My Japanese penpal sent me her first snail-mail letter, (we usually talk via email) and sent me two letters in very beautiful stationary with a post card from where she went to on vacation. I thought it was very sweet and wanted to send her American things, as well.

She loves American fashion, so I thought I'd send her a couple fashion magazines and a couple Reese's peanut butter cups to share with her husband.

The only problem is someone from Japan I follow on Youtube mentioned that her American friend had to write "candy" on the package to get it through?

If I send a couple magazines with candy and a letter do I have to write "candy" on the box? o_O Please help, for I am new at this.

I'd also like to get it to her as soon as possible.
by Deviruu  

. 2010/3/23 22:27
As you are sending just a couple each of magazines and Reese's peanut butter cups. I would use a bubble cushioned envelope. You will need to fill a green Custom Declaration form. Just write what's inside (chocolate candies or chocolates, magazines, quantities and prices. It's easy.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

forms at post office 2010/3/23 23:51
You have to list everything in the package on the customs form. (these forms are usually on a table somewhere in the post office) There are 2 different customs forms, one for packages 4lbs. and under & one for over 4lbs. They are very easy to fill out and difficult to get it wrong. But if you do the post office staff will let you know about it. :) (and you'll fill out another form)
by Daz88 (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/24 10:35
In the US, there are two types of customs forms when sending packages, it depends on what service, size, weight of the items are. On the customs form you list everything inside (candy, magazines, business papers etc etc).

If you buy postage online, the screen will prompt you to fill out an electronic version, if you do it at the post office the post office person will give you the proper form depending on the service you use.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread