Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Milk, yoghurt, breakfast cereals 2010/3/22 19:52
I've been here 6 days and what I'm really missing are the food substances mentioned in the title.

I can read some Japanese (I know that cows' milk is 牛乳) and I think I've actually seen gyuunyuu in the fridge at my International residence.... but I've no idea whether yoghurt or cereals exist out here!

If they don't then what else could I have to deal with these cravings? Many thanks
by selbydate16  

it exists, but not in large quantities 2010/3/23 22:01
What kind of cereals are you looking for?

I'm from Europe and yes, there is a lot more to choose from in terms of dairy products back home, but don't worry, if you go to your local super market or xonvenience store, you should be able to find yoghurt without a problem, and you can regognize them immediately they look like they would like elswhere in the world. In Japanese it's written ヨーグルト by the way. The supermarkets also have breakfast cereals, but the variety (and size) is smaller than in Europe. The type of cereals sold also depends on the supermarket. I once saw Quaker oatmeal cereal available at a supermarket called Ogino, but not in other supermarkets.

You can always find stores that are specialized in importing foreign products, but it will be more expensive.
by well (guest) rate this post as useful

Look again. 2010/3/23 22:54
There are many varieties of yoghurt in supermarkets as well as convenience stores, and to my eyes they are immediately recognisable as yoghurt even if you don't read Japanese. Go back to the place you bought the milk and look on the surrounding shelves- you'll see it.

As above, depends what kind of cereals you are looking for. If you want real muesli you will need to go to an international supermarket. For cornflakes or fruit granola, just go back to that supermarket again and look a bit harder- Kelloggs is written in English on the boxes. Another brand is Calbee.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/4/5 12:51
I have some 7-11 fruit granola now so I'm a happy bunny - cheers! ^_^
by selbydate16 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread