Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What to eat for breakfast? 2010/3/28 02:15
Okay, Ive been in Japan for ages now. And despite turning to Japanese style for 90% of my meals, I still am stuck with toast or cereal for breakie...

I'm after some ideas for a Japanese breakfast. I know its the usual combination of Rice, Miso, and fish? But what fish? How to cook? And surely there's more choice than that?

Ta x
by Yojax  

grilled salmon, natto 2010/3/29 12:02
Salmon grilled with salt is most popular fish as a break fast.
http://www.ngm-an.com/img2/wa-shakeshioyaki/wa-shakeshioyaki-m00.jpg

But western style like sunny side up and bacon is also popular nowadays.

And have you ever tried natto and toasted laver?
by Yoshi (guest) rate this post as useful

Breakfast 2010/3/30 06:30
At the onsen we stayed at, the fish was what we call butterfish here in the state, sort of disk shaped. It was grilled.
My mother-in-law served fresh fruit, juice, fried eggs & bacon and onigiri for breakfast.
by cf (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/30 08:21
While Japanese are being westernized, you want to fill the last 10% to make it 100% Japanized? lol.
You may want to visit a typical hotel/ryokan that offers buffet style bf. This way you can see what people eat traditionally or like to eat if somebody cooks for them or when invited to someone's house overnight. But the real everyday bf may be quite different at home.
More like natto(fermented soy/wheat), grated slimy nagaimo, kamaboko, ham, wieners, grilled fish, shishamo, etc., etc. besides rice, miso soup, umeboshi, nori, pickles, etc.
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

western breakfast 2010/3/31 19:12
I'm an exchange student and my host family's breakfast is pretty westernized. I normally have yogurt and an omelet or cereal. There have been days though that we have donuts (mister donut) or pizza O.o
by jenny (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread