Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Souvenir shopping Osaka? 2010/4/1 07:30
Hi,
since Osaka will be my last stop before heading up to Takayama and from there straight to the airport I plan to buy my souvenirs and food to bring home in osaka. Any recommanded shops there to go?
I want to look for a yukata and the typical stuff to bring home like nice chopsticks .. and for food I thought about the pickles and maybe some spices & herbals (whats typical?)

Thanks
Tina
by schnapperin (guest)  

. 2010/4/2 12:08
100 yen shops have great gifts like chopsticks. Also, there is a awesome (but a bit expensive) shop in Kansai Airport on the lower level. There wasn't too many shops in the city because most people go to Kyoto to buy them.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Namba 2010/4/2 12:36
I remember buying frozen takoyakis at a souvenir shop in Namba station. There are plenty souvenir shops at touristy areas and a lot of the souvenirs would be related to osaka as well. For example takoyaki soft toy/key chains, Hanshin tigers. I also remember souvenir shops around Osaka castle.

However if you are going to Kyoto before Osaka, maybe you can split the souvenir purchases between Kyoto and Osaka? I know they have marvelous souvenir items at Kiyomizu Dera. Some of the food items such as daifuku and mochi are available at the airports but you might want to get the chopsticks, magnets, keychains, scarves etc at Kyoto. Marvelous selections!!
by mk (guest) rate this post as useful

if in Kyoto... 2010/4/2 17:44
Hello Tina,

in case you really can do some shopping in Kyoto, as 'mk' suggested, I'd recommend the "Kyoto Handicraft Center" near Heian Jingu.

While it may comes across as being a little too touristic, it probably offers all the things you're searching for in one place (sans the foodstuff, of course). Duty free, with English speaking staff - which might not be needed, but can come in handy.

Good luck,
Kai
by umi2jp rate this post as useful

Rinku Town 2010/4/2 20:31
Rinku Town by the airport is the most convenient to buy gifts just before you leave Japan. You should get off the train one stop ahead(Rinku Town Station).
http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/transittour/index.html
by V (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/4/2 20:57
Thanks everyone, ILm currently in Kyto so will see what I do find here.

ILm heading from Osaka to Takyama and from there straight to Narita (so that would be a opportunity aswell).

What is a usual price for a yakuta?
by Tina (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/4/2 23:57
I got one in Osaka for 3000 yen a couple of years ago. Don't remember the cost of the Obi. Maybe more expensive now.

Senba 2010/4/3 01:08
There are wholesale stores of clothing in Senba center buildings which is under the Hanshin expressway, near Honmachi station of subway Midosuji line.
There are some shops which deal in kimono at cheap price in eastern side of the buildings.
Or, there are similar shops also in northern part of Shinsaibashi. (I don't recommend southern part of Shinsaibashi because they sell goods at expensive price.)

They are wholesale stores but they sell in retail too.

But I always don't know details because I'm a man. Sorry.
by jtomi (guest) rate this post as useful

Great 2010/4/5 06:27
Good to know, I went to the Craftcenter in Kyoto but didnLt found anything I liked there. Yukatas were about 3.700 - 4.200 so at least I do know what they are supposed to cost.

Any ideas if there is a big 100 Yen store with kitchen stuff in Osaka? Or any other nice not to expensive shop for that there?

PS: If I find some more space as I already bought far to much eating food here in Kyoto
by schnapperin (guest) rate this post as useful

Souvenir shopping Osaka? 2010/4/5 08:13
i always love shopping at loft and tokyu hands ... both have tons and tons of very cool japanese items from kitchen stuff to little kraft kits to stationery ... endless gifts there. if i only had two stores to shop at in japan (not local mom and pop shops) ... these would be the ones. price range is major but mostly very reasonably priced.
by orangecat3 rate this post as useful

. 2010/4/5 12:57
I found a great(and big) 100 yen store near Miyakojima subway station on the Tanimachi line. It was a bit of a walk in the shopping center with Toys R Us North of the station. Ask for directions.
It had great gifts!

reply to this thread