Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

can you teach english in okinawa? 2004/7/22 02:14
I am trying to decide whether to take on a year-long english teaching contract in Japan, or whether I continue with my schooling in Canada and try to find a month-long position next summer. Is that possible?
by Taia Spencer-Yap  

Teaching in Okinawa 2004/7/22 18:43
I'm not exactly sure what your question is, but yes, it is possible for foreigners to teach English in Okinawa. If you are Canadian, don't you have the option of the Working Holiday Visa, which I guess gives the greatest flexibility. If you are hoping to get sponsorship for a working visa, then you will need to have a university degree. As you mention continuing your schooling in Canada, I wonder if you have graduated from university yet?
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Okinawa Teaching 2004/7/22 19:11
Getting a month-long teaching contract in Okinawa FROM Canada seeems a bit of a chancey prospect, simply because there are so many native speakers here already who are available for such posts. If you already have contacts or a job offer though - come on over, and enjoy the passive lifestyle here whilst getting a nice tan.
by Stephen T. rate this post as useful

YES! 2008/2/7 02:51
I use to teach in a school in CHATAN.It was the best job I ever had. Would love to do it again.
by Debi T rate this post as useful

Okinawa- in demand, not so many jobs 2008/2/7 08:31
There are plenty of people teaching English in Okinawa, but it is an area with a small population that a lot of people would like to teach English in, and there is already a large supply of teachers in the form of US military wives who are willing to teach very cheaply or for free.

This means it is very difficult to get a position there, and even more so from overseas.

If you have a fair bit of money saved up you could go there and start looking for jobs, if you have a working holiday visa you are more likely to get hired and don't have the 90-day time limit to find a job you would have on a tourist permit.
by Sira rate this post as useful

ancient question 2008/2/7 08:53
Ah, I just noticed how old this original question is. Never mind...
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread