Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it safe to use my chargers in Japan? 2010/4/28 13:38
Hello everyone!
I've tried to find thread regarding to this topic but I got even more confused! :(

I will be bringing my laptop, blackberry battery charger, camera charger etc with me, Dubai's voltage is a 220 V* - 50 Hz - G, I, E plugs. Is there a way to use my chargers in Japan safely without burning anything? Can you name a shop in Tokyo to buy an adapter that can work with this voltage?

Any tips will be highly appreciated! Thank you and sorry if this question been asked before, but I am desperately in need of help! :(

- Aysha
by Ayshasan  

That's strange... 2010/4/29 01:36
All laptops should have an AC adapter able to get input voltage from 100 up to 240 V and a frequency from 50 to 60Hz. So, they can be used anywhere around the world.
Please check the tag on yours, before worrying.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

no transformer needed, only adaptor 2010/4/29 09:22
Unless your camera, laptop etc are more than ten years old they will have built in transformers in the chargers which are able to handle 100-240V (as above, you should see this written somewhere on the charger). All you need is an adaptor for the different plug shape here (2 parallel flat pins) which are cheap. Don't waste your money buying a transformer, you won't need one.

I have used my Japanese camera, phone and laptop chargers in many different countries, and all I needed was a plug adaptor.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

chargers 2010/4/29 11:23
You can buy phone chargers that are powered by AA batteries at some places, or use the free universal phone/iPod charger docks, which you can find in University cafeterias and train stations.

If you want to be extremely cautious, then see if you can find USB chargers so then you can plug your phone and camera into your laptop and charge safely off its battery.
by bergeron rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2010/5/7 17:41
Thank you all for the answers and tips!
by Ayshasan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread