Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Aspect ratio change in Japan OTA TV 2010/5/5 15:16
Has anybody else noticed that around 3-4 weeks ago, the aspect ratio (width and height) of the TV screen changes depending on the TV program or commercial. I am hooked up to the wall, so I am viewing over-the-air (OTA) programming or local channels, not cable.

I am using a U.S. TV, so I can only view analog signal, but Japan analog is same as U.S., or NTSC.

The old CRT TVs were analog and used 4:3, and the new HDTVs use 16:7 or widescreen.

Before, all analog broadcasting in Japan was 4:3 (taller than wide), which makes sense. Some old folks up in the mountains may only have old analog CRT TVs, so the aspect ratio is optimized for that. The problem with using a 16:7 (wider than tall) aspect ratio is the image must be smaller to fit the whole picture on the screen. I use a HDD recorder a lot so now the image I record is smaller.

In Okinawa, it seems all local broadcasting has switched to 16:7. Most mainland broadcasting is still using 4:3.
by Clevor  

Re: Aspect ratio change in Japan OTA TV 2010/5/6 14:45
With the digital switch over set for July 2011 in Japan, maybe it is worth investing in a new TV. Here in the UK they also started broadcasting HD channels OTA and Japan is probably ahead of us in this field, so it maybe worth investing in an HD ready TV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

Digital TV 2010/5/11 02:12
I am not sure why some HD programming results in a smaller picture but depending on how old your TV is you may be able to watch what you've programmed in the correct aspect ratio by changing the aspect ratio on your TV. Usually you can enable this by looking on the TV's menu or some remotes will allow you to change the ratio. I have (here in the US) a 7 year old Sony 16:9 widescreen CRT TV that is HD capable (not HD ready). I bought and hooked up a digital converter box when they became available and an HD antennae since the cost of cable for me is not worth the amount of time I spend looking at TV. I am now getting many more stations to look at and much better sound and picture. The HD broadcasts are razor sharp.
by stevenjv (guest) rate this post as useful

OTA HDTV??? Well that explains it. 2010/5/11 06:51
Well, if HD programs will be shown OTA in Japan, that explains the 16:9 aspect ratio, since that is what HDTV uses. The problem is, to cram that aspect ratio into an analog TV, the picture will have to be smaller, which sorta defeats the purpose of HD viewing.

I was in a business hotel over the weekend, and saw the same problem on the CRT analog TV in the room. Sometimes the picture would fill up the screen (4:3), but some commercials were 16:9. Unless you have a HDTV, you will get a miniature picture during HD broadcasting.

The problem is, some local TV shows are now using the 16:9 ratio. I dunno, maybe those are in HD.

I am using a U.S. HDTV but have not gotten a Japanese digital tuner, since changing channels will be a problem hooked up to a U.S. HDD recorder. Unless the tuner acts exactly like the outlet on the wall and the recorder picks up all the channels from it. May give it a try as the tuners are cheap. But the tuner would have to convert the Japanese digital signal to analog or NTSC.

by Clevor rate this post as useful

HD 2010/5/12 07:57
"The problem is, to cram that aspect ratio into an analog TV, the picture will have to be smaller, which sorta defeats the purpose of HD viewing."

And the solution is to buy a brand new 1080p HD ready TV. The 1080p TV's convert the HD signal to 16:9 - the correct aspect ratio for HD programming allowing for a full size or widescreen picture. For viewing theatrical films there may still be black bars at the top and bottom of the screen because some films are made in ratios wider (or less wide) than 16:9.

Here in the US, not all programming is in HD. In fact most is not. The digital signal I get through the antenna & converter box fill the TV screen because I've set the default for my TV's screen size at 16:9 on the TV's menu page AND on the converter box's menu page. The remote control for the TV also has options for aspect ratio and I've chosen the one that makes people look the most normal - different brands of TVs have different options.

by stevenjv (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread