Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

restaurants in temples 2010/5/9 10:04
We have twice enjoyed the inexpensive but wonderful meals served in a tented area at Kiyomizudera.
We looked for similar in Nanzenji, but only found far more expensive upscale restaurants on the outskirts of the precinct.
Are there similar inexpensive eating places in Nanzenji or Eikando? If so, where??
We are planning, hopefully, to see the autumn colours in Tenjuan and Eikando in the mid afternoon, eat, and stay for the evening Koyo illuminations in November.
Many thanks.
by fmj  

care to explain more? 2010/5/13 14:38
Hello,

the reason why nobody answered so far might be: Can you explain more which tented area you mean? AFAIR, there are no tents on the temple ground. There are small shops and restaurants in the vicinity, but no tents either.

Temple cuisine is generally far from inexpensive. "Tents" sound more like some festival that was held during your time there, with the typical offers of karaage, okonomiyaki, and the like.
If that's not it, maybe some more explanations from your side, e.g., which kind of food, would help.

Kai
by umi2jp rate this post as useful

restaurants 2010/5/13 15:01
Perhaps you mean the small restaurant next to the Otowa waterfall at Kiyomizudera? I believe they were renovating it awhile back and had a temporary structure set up in the meantime. If so, I've eaten there myself just last month and I thought it was just another ubiquitous udon/soba restaurant.

I don't recall seeing any of these restaurants around Nanzenji or Eikando, the area is more of a residential district. Eikando does have a rest area where they serve tea and snacks though, but nothing like a meal, so if you're just looking for a small restaurant to catch lunch then I would find something on the way to Nanzenji. If I recall there were a lot of these types of places on the way between Chionin and Nanzenji if you'll be coming from the south.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

thanks 2010/5/13 17:04
Thanks to you both...explains a lot....shall make alternative arrangements as suggested
Love our food!!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread