Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is this a genuine Satsuma Vase? 2010/5/30 23:05
A vase was recently passed onto us from family. It appears to be a Satsuma vase (10 inches tall, yellowish earthenware, doesn't "ring" when tapped, clearly hand-decorated, finely crackled glaze, what appears to be moriage - patterns in relief), but I can't find any maker's mark. It's possible these are on the base, but are so feint and fine, it could simply be a trick of the glaze. Photos are online and I'd appreciate any advice or comment. Many Thanks.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/stephenworgan/SatsumaVase?feat=directlin...
by Stephen (guest)  

not sure, but - - - 2010/5/31 23:28
We have a Satsuma vase, and have seen many more. All that we have seen have had the Satsuma mon somewhere in the design, ie, a cross within a circle. However, we are in no way experts and offer this simply as an observation.
by koniero rate this post as useful

Satsuma Vase 2010/6/2 13:29
Stephen

I am an antiques dealer in New Hampshire USA. I have lived in Japan for 3 years and am fond of Japanese antiques.

I believe that you have a Satsuma vase.
I am especially taken by the crackeling on the glaze as shown on the base. This indicates some age as does the slight discoloration also on the rim of the base. While Satsuma vases are able to be faked, it would make no sense to do so as value would not be that materialy effected.

Age is another matter. Porcelains do not age as other materials do. This being said, it would be my guess that it is perhaps early 20th century. I have a Satsuma vase in my collection, and it is not as fine as this one .

My only question is the type of dress on the male figure. It seems more chinese than Japanese.

Hope this helps.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2010/6/3 05:08
Koniero and Peter, thank you for taking time to post your answers. Much appreciated.
Regards
by Stephen (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread